Thread: Midwest Crop Damage

Default Midwest Crop Damage

Word from the Midwest....floods in the Spring screwed up the crop growth and now Fall floods have screwed up the harvest. Farmers can't get in to harvest what's in the field yet....which means less "waste" grain in the field. Beans are rotting in the field too. Abnormally high water in the Spring / Summer reduced growth of local aquatic vegetation in lakes and ponds.

This is a perfect recipe for anyone hunting the Southern Mississippi / Central Flyway. Couple this with the upcoming Global Freeze and we are in bizness!

If anyone is EVEN REMOTELY thinking of an out of state trip this year, it should be a barn burner. The boys in Illinois are getting the "flyover" from the birds right now. Sometimes too much water along the flyway can ruin duckhunting just as much as a drought can.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I duno Cajunwannabe i'm from Illinois and the last time we had this situation it turned out to be a great year. Illinois main crop is cron and i duno if you have ever hunted mallards in a standing corn field with about 3 food of water but it's like candy to them ol mallards. For us that have flooded fields that we pmp off rivers/creeks's it's looking very good. Back home they just started puming the fields and the ducks are already showimg up. Now the question is, is there enouh to keep them here along with having them not clean illinois out of feed. We wont just get a flyver trust me....and we diffently looking forward to taking back Southern Illinois as the goose hunting capital of the world much like it was 10 years ago before all the geese started stoping in Chicago on the big power plant lakes. If the weather gets as bad as they are saying and the snow line exstines to the middle of the state like it did 10 years ago we will be in for a treat. I'll make sure to post pictures when i go home for a month in Dec!!
    Good luck hunting

Im hopeing this weather pattern bring ducks to us

Definitely wet up here in MT, but I could do without the big Freeze, cause hell it already gets to 20 below in a normal winter, no need to see 40 below. our ducks have not shown up yet thats for sure
    cut\'em

I believe the weather will push alot more waterfowl south this winter. Along with look at the hatch numbers this year they are well above normal. Both of these factors will push more ducks down!! But i believe we will do just fine in the southern half of Illinois this season!

Illinoisboy,

Hunting corn ponds is a LOT different than hunting standing unharvested corn. An artificially manipulated corn pond will definitely pull in birds but if I was a betting man I believe they'll wipe you out of feed and push on. I am speaking for the common man who doesn't have the resources to grow, flood and hunt an impoundment.

Soggy standing corn won't cut it for waterfowl. Trust me, this is a public water hunters potential dream season. I don't wish ill for you all "Up North", kill a few, get your fill and then FREEZE SOLID IN DECEMBER!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

We will just be just fine....catch up with me in DEC. and we will see?!?!