Thread: Youth Duck Box Project in Michigan.

Lake Gogebic, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Default Youth Duck Box Project in Michigan.

Since the FF had been providing the mallard tubes to lower michigan I all of you down south might like to see what else is being done in Michigan.

Michigan Duck Hunters Association (MDHA) is one of the groups working with the biologist in Michigan to get the tubes installed. There are many other groups installing the tubes and also individuals not afffilated with any clubs that have got involved. Personally I can not partisipate in the project because I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the tubes are not being targeted here but that doesn't stop me from incouraging others in the lower to get involved.

Anyway I though you would like to see what MDHA did last month. We have been very concerned with the lack of youth recruitment and retention in the ourdoors and have discussed it on our boards at length out of this a focus on youth has started and in March we setup a booth at the largest outdoor show in michigan. Its called Outdoor-Rama. Our goal was fairly simple. Educate some kids on waterfowl conservation projects and put them in a situation to get them outdoors by giving them and their parents something to do once a year. Simple we will build woodduck boxes and send them home if the kids have a place to install them and promise to maintain them every year!!

This was our first go round and we did fairly well in the long weekend of this show we built over 60 boxes and all but a few went home with the kids. Its amazing how interested the kids were in the ducks in general and the history of their decline and recovery. The parrents were generally interested as well. I staffed the both most days with others it was very enjoyable.

60 boxes meant lots of late nights cutting wood and lots of trips to Home Depot. We cleaned out 3 different stores of all 1x10 #2 pine they had.
    We had two helpers with the spray paint one night.

The booth was staffed by many people and we could not have done it without them.

A black duck was donated and all new or renewing MDHA members were entered into the drawing to win it. It was a great added bonus to joining MDHA that day.

Blue Water Chapter had a woodduck box that was a great example to those asking questions. The kids were allowed to pet the drake as well.

I believe this event helped to spark interest in both the outdoors and conservation in some kids that weekend. That was our goal and I believe we reached it!

Lake Gogebic, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Default Lets hope this is the result with 60 other kids.

This is what we hope happened 60 plus times all of the state after that event.

Two of these boxes made there way back to the UP with me. Each build by my kids. Madi my youngest wanted to hang hers at "her" beaver pond. Since I had already hung three boxes on it the only room was in the back of the pond about a half mile each way. Lucky for me the snow was crusty and she floated on it.

You cant just drive up to a pond in the UP and install structures everything takes some planing to get it ESPECIALLY in the winter. These pictures were taken at the end of march.

After a 5 mile ride we snowshoed in a half mile. Along the way I told her about being safe on the ice and how I had went through that same pond beaver trapping earlier in the year. Walk along the edge dont cut across and if you go out deep test the ice with a spud!!!
    We also found a beaver hunt to explore on the way in.
    First things first hot chocolate!

Lots of animals hunt on the ice of the ponds. Near where we installed the box a small single wolf had crossed the ice. Aparently not hunting though he traveled in a straight line and didn't stop at all.

If anyone find this box you win a prize its a long way in. Thats looking across the pond most of what you see will be flooded grass the remaining part will be open water with pondweed.

I hope the other boxes built result in similar days for kids and their parents.

good stuff brandon!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The best!
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

that is awesome!

Great work. Always good to see people taking the initiative to involve young youth in our sport.
    Last edited by cusportsman; 04-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC: