Thread: Fishing the Waccamaw

Default Fishing the Waccamaw

Does anyone have any idea on how to catch some fish in the waccamaw river, what fish can you catch and what bait/lures do you use?
    Run'n Couger!

Find you a hornet's nest, tie to the tree and fish crickets underneath it. Red breast swarm those things.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Note:

Do so at your own peril.

***Edit**
    They are fresh water fish... depends on what you are fishin for...

Bream, use crickets, no corks and fish around the bases of trees. Also throw a white beetle spin. Bream and bass will work on it.

Catfish: cut bait in deep holes on carolina rigs. Fish in the evenings on sandbars. Fish live bait on carolina rigs in log jams for large flatheads.

If you want a truly epic bream smashing trip, find some road kill or kill a yote and put him in a gunny sack hanging from a limb over the water. Come back in a few days and fish upwind underneath it.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 03-24-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

The water is still a bit cool and a little high, Bass fishing is pretty good down river of Conway but the tide is important. I always prefered a high tide falling, fish it till it's dead low. Bass fishermen are not doing to well right now. It will get better.

You can always fish live bait (Breams) on the bottom for catfish, just need to find some deep holes.
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

the plural of bream is brim.....or brimps.

carry on.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Smart ASS!
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

The last I heard they were killing the bream on red worms on the bottom. As for the bass, I would suggest going toward the rice fields due to the fact that we have been catching down there. If you go, good luck and God Bless!!

I remember the oldtimers jiggerfishing in the creeks off the river, like Jericho and Thoroughfare. One would paddle. The other would lean out over the bow with a 12 to 15 foot cane pole, 8 inches of 80 lb test line and a 3 hook Bagley's Bang-o-lure on the end. He'd tap-tap-tap the tip of the pole into the water along the edge of the grass until WHAM-O, a big bass would surface slam the lure.

Heart attack fishing at its best.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

well at least if you don't have any bites, it is one of the most beautiful rivers in sc. Along with Little pee dee.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

SCTIMBER Coots

fish on bottom with worms for bream

cricket under a small cork

beetle spin (Original Flipo) sort of a black with small specks of yellow/red on it. You can usually find them around the fishing section of local stores (not Walmart)

It sure is the most beautiful river in the state. And none more historic. I'll never understand why they permitted the Heritage Marina, right in the middle of the prettiest stretch of all, overlooking the ricefields of an antebellum governor who was also the most successful rice planter in SC history.

We use Eel's on the bottom to catch big cats. You will need heavy duty gear... just sayin.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

the river is pretty cool, my house is on it, just cant ever catch nothing
    Run'n Couger!

Can't beat a live flat fish[bream,shell cracker,hard heads etc.] for a monster cat.