Thread: 2/29/09 dirt nap

Default 2/29/09 dirt nap

Pulled onto the farm around 645am sunday in Denmark SC. my buddy and I pulled thrugh the gate with the wind whipping hard. we parked and went down an old RR bed to try and locate a couple we caught on the roost the week before. couldnt get anything to speak so we drove to the other side of the property into a pair of fields where we worked 2 gobblers and 4 jakes & hens the week before. the 1st field is 400 yards long 300 wide, 2nd field is 200 yards long and 45-50 yards wide, both planted in oats. spliting the fields is a hedge row thats about 10-15 yards wide of thick brush and pines/hardwoods. we had the turkeys in the small field the week before on the back side. We came in and set up 2 hens and a jake decoy and got comfy. after about 2 hours with nothing we decided to move and check out other fields. we left the decoys and went scouting. spoted several in the middle of large field but had no way to get even withing 300 yards without getting spotted. around 11:15am we decided to go, check on the decoys and if nothing was out there we were gonna pull em and try again another day. well when we turned the corner, 200 yards down there was a gobbler whoppin the jake decoys ass. we started hitting the call as it was trying to screw 1 of the hen decoys. got it to come in 20-30 yards toward us till it got hung up. Dave stayed back and kept it occupied as it was gobblin its head off while i started the sneak attack up the back side of the hedge row. at 12:15ish i was able to cut through the hedge and get positioned with about a yard shooting lane. i could see the decoys to my left but the gobbler was nowhere to be found. i could still here dave hitting the call so i was positive he was still around. when i was sitting, i noticed there was a nice red flower that was growing in the middle of the field directly infront of me (oats are green as can be and growing about knee high). well that flower turned out to be the turkeys head as it had bedded down. as soon as it stuck its head up i let the #4s fly from the benelli stomping this beast out for the count. This was a special bird, the first one dave or myself have shot without an "experienced caller" calling one in for us.

measurements came out to
    10inch beard
    1 1/8th inch spurs
    23.4lbs off the digital scale.

That's a nice'un, congrats.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Congrats.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

im a little confused with the date or your SC should be SD
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Thats a hoss gobbler, congrats. Teamwork is deadly on turks!