Thread: Weekend on Murray

Default Weekend on Murray

Anyone try for bass on Murray this weekend? We fished most of the day Saturday and only caught two. I had several more strikes but they were just swatting at it. Both of them I caught didn't have any hooks in their mouth. All hooks were in the side of the jaw. They weren't quite right on Sat., but they should be getting there. Anyone else have any luck?

They were doing a little better tuesday afternoon. I caught 6 in about two hours and had one about 5 lb. I'll try them again this afternoon. Has anybody else been out there?

Went yesterday late afternoon/evening as well. Caught 6 in about 2 1/2 hours. Fish were swatting, but eating too. Seemed like clones of each other, all 6 were about 4lbs.
    Bah! Humbug!

I'll take a 20# sack any tourny

Have never seen anything like that on Lake Murray before. Will probably go back tomorrow and throw the same thing and not get one hit.
    Bah! Humbug!

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

I will take a 20# bag any day!
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

I wouldn't even put the boat in the water if they would give me 20 and I'd win the points.

Promise you I ain't complainin. This warm weather has really turned them on. Will be interesting to see what happens this weekend.
    Bah! Humbug!

I went back out yesterday afternoon. I only caught 3, and they were small. From what I've seen, the fish are really "spotty" right now, I think due to the differences in water temp. you can move a hundred yards and there will be an 8 degree difference.

What degree water are you catching your fish in? I fished the other day in mostly 50-53 degrees. I didn't go yesterday, but am going to try to go Saturday. WIll probably get skunked.
    Bah! Humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    What degree water are you catching your fish in? I fished the other day in mostly 50-53 degrees. I didn't go yesterday, but am going to try to go Saturday. WIll probably get skunked.
    I caught them tuesday in 61 to 64 degrees, and yesterday (Wednesday) i found water that's 67 degrees. You should be finding water warmer than that, (50 - 53 degrees) unless your fishing mainlake/bigwater. Are you fishing the south side of the lake?
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 03-12-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Wessinger and below. Did find 60 degree water, but was catching fish in deeper spots. Thought the fist would have started to move in a little but i can't get them to bite shallow.
    Bah! Humbug!

That makes sense then. The water is a little clearer down there so it won't warm up as fast. I've been fishing crystal lake up to macedonia church. The water has a little color to it so it's warmer. Some have moved into the pockets up there, but the big ones are still "staging" I think. Who knows what this cooler weather over the weekend will do for them?

We caught 6 this weekend (3/22). The fish are real finicky right now, and seemed to be located completely at random. We finally started putting a pattern together about 2:00 and were catching them in almost 30 feet of water. They were scattered but were pretty good sized.

Got on the water this morning @ 7:30 with my dad and started fishing up the Little Saluda. We had a total of 20 fish actually on and was able to boat 10. The water is muddy and full of floating debris but the fish are biting. BF was 4.5lbs. and full of eggs which was released to bite again. Best 5 went 15lbs. and some change. All but 1 was caught on a Gold with Black back Rattle Trap and a Trap I painted up myself. All I do is take a Silver with Blue back and rub chart. soft plastic dye on the silver part and let dry for 2-3 min. Works great and the dye won't come off. Something quick for those who might not know. All the fish were on rocky or clay points just as white as they could be. Had some quality time and caught some quality fish. We were done fishing by 12:45 cause I have to work tonight. Good Luck and hope this helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSTICK069 View Post
    Got on the water this morning @ 7:30 with my dad and started fishing up the Little Saluda. We had a total of 20 fish actually on and was able to boat 10. The water is muddy and full of floating debris but the fish are biting. BF was 4.5lbs. and full of eggs which was released to bite again. Best 5 went 15lbs. and some change. All but 1 was caught on a Gold with Black back Rattle Trap and a Trap I painted up myself. All I do is take a Silver with Blue back and rub chart. soft plastic dye on the silver part and let dry for 2-3 min. Works great and the dye won't come off. Something quick for those who might not know. All the fish were on rocky or clay points just as white as they could be. Had some quality time and caught some quality fish. We were done fishing by 12:45 cause I have to work tonight. Good Luck and hope this helps!!
    Good job. I'd heard they were hitting the rattle traps up the river. All the good ones I caught saturday were in 25-30 feet of water.

Some buddies of mine fished Murrary this past weekend in a little tournament. I don't have the final numbers, but it did not sound like they were really tearing up the stripers or bass for the tourney. Lower weight figures than usual were reported for whatever reason. Maybe the weather.
    75% SHR Justa' Swimmin' Fool "Otter"

Ducks, Doves, Deer, Toms and the little brown dog, Otter.