Thread: Your Gear

Default Your Gear

Do any of you guys use tripods in the field or just shoot freehanded? I'm reading up but need to practice alot on the proper ISO and shutter speed settings for different situations.

Any other advice?
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Do any of you guys use tripods in the field or just shoot freehanded? I'm reading up but need to practice alot on the proper ISO and shutter speed settings for different situations.

Any other advice?

Let your surroundings (light, subject matter, situation -whether hunting or just there for photography in general-etc.) determine your need for a tripod. The pictures I posted awhile back of the USAF Thunderbirds was freehand. The ones of all the egrets were tripod. Tripods can get in the way with alot of field work but then again, it's one of those things that can help alot as well. Kind of a "have to get used to it" type of thing. I find plenty of times that I need it and just as many that I don't. All my landscape work is done from a tripod because generally the shutter speeds are much slower. Moving subjects can be tracked easily atop a tripod if you have the right gear (quality ball head, quick release, quick height adjustment) Check out the Adorama line....Flashpoint I think they are called. They have some really good prices on their carbon fiber tripods which translates into a very lightweight pkg. I believe Squatty has a flashpoint. I have an older proffessional tripod and the damn thing weighs like a truck after a day of shooting. Practice, practice, practice.....then go practice.