Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey Huntin Help

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    You are not going to call a turkey to place he doesn't want to go, especially if there are hens,no matter how good you are. Are you going to leave 5 girls to chase one you hear a mile away...
    I disagree...........you can piss one of them tricks off and they'll come runnin singin the " I hit that bitch witha bottle" song........in tow will be the ole' horny one...........

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    You are not going to call a turkey to place he doesn't want to go, especially if there are hens,no matter how good you are. Are you going to leave 5 girls to chase one you hear a mile away...
    A Gobbler can be called away from hens.... Few years back I was hunting along a powerline. 2 gobblers and 5-6 hens feeding in a food plot on someone else's property about 400-500 yards down from where I was. I thought well I can't go after them so I'll just mess with them, so I laid down in the middle of the powerline and started calling very aggressively... They got fired up and sure enough after about 10 minutes they left the hens and came all the way to me. I killed the lead bird at 10 steps... I guess I sounded like a hen ready to get it on...
    Last edited by M2Field; 01-19-2009 at 08:46 AM.

When a turkey is ready to die there is nothing you, I or anyone else can do to stop them from committing suicide.

I was working a henned up bird last year down in a creek bottom running through a pasture. Had a bird hammering it across two roads and at least 4 fences. The henned up bird stayed put but that dumb sumbitch crossed all those fences and two paved roads only to get the top of his head blowed off.

Tell me how smart they are?

i had a henned up bird last year opening day fightin purr broke him off and he came runnin..my buddy shot him at 7 steps..anything is possible turkey huntin....its something you gotta learn on your own..you can get tips and you can learn a few things from other people but as far as reading a bird and understanding them that is up to you...black oil sunflower seeds work well before season..

also like cc said, if a gobbler is with a hen, if she comes he is comin

If You Can Get To Within 100 Yards Or Closer To A Henned Up Gobbler, Make Some Soft Calls, That Group Of Turkeys Is Likely To Feed In Your Direction... Rode By A Field I Have Permission To Hunt Last Year On My Lunch Break....a Group Of About 8 Hens, 2 Jakes, And One Gobbler Were Out In The Middle Of The Field... It Was Really Really Windy That Day And I Was Able To Sneak To Within 75 Yards Of The Group.... I Belly Crawled Through A Briar Thicket And Eased Up On The Other Side... I Let A Few Soft Calls Out And That Gobbler Started Gobbling And Strutting His Head Off... He Would Strut Back And Forth Infront Of Those Hens, And Chase Those Jakes All Around.... Well One Of The Hens Got Fired Up And Started To Yelp.... And She Eased A Little Closer.... After 30 Minutes Of Me Sittin On My Knees In A Briar Thicket They Were Well Within Range... The Gobbler Was The Farthest Bird From Me But The Boss Hen Had Made Her Way To Within 10 Feet Of Me.... About That Time She Caught My Movement And I Figured It Was Now Or Never... I Threw The Gun Up And Rolled The Gobbler Up At 30 Yards.......

So Yea You Can Kill A Henned Up Gobbler Sometimes, If He Is In A Field And You Can See His Reaction To Your Calls, Or If You Can Get In Real Close Before Calling To Him...... But Just Like Every Thing Else... There Is Alot Of Luck Involved......

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I disagree...........you can piss one of them tricks off and they'll come runnin singin the " I hit that bitch witha bottle" song........in tow will be the ole' horny one...........

Not talking about you richard....talking about a guy that doens't know how much is too much