Thread: ? taxidermist

I have a wood duck in my freezer that I want to get mounted . I used blackwater taxidermy for a duck a few years back , and he sent the bird somewhere else to get mounted . If I would have known that I would have gone to someone else . He pissed around and it took almost a year for my bird to be finished . Where can I have my bird mounted in the Columbia area ? Can anyone help ?

You can try Lakeside Taxidermy, on 378, bout 15 min from Saluda, they do excellent work

Keith Crout. He's off of #1 behind the Uhaul. He specializes in Waterfowl and does very nice work. He had my Black duck done in a month.

Keith Crout is very good with birds. His business is called Carolina Taxidermy. The street it is on is Roof Street right beside the U-Haul storage buildings. There is a sign at the intersection of Roof Street and Orchard Drive.Keith Taylor of Blackwater Taxidermy probally sent it to Keith Crout to finish. I know that has been done in the past. I beileve his price of a duck is $175.00.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Charlie Parker in Denmark. Worth the drive. I would make it from Greenville to take ducks to him. Only mounts waterfowl, $180 a bird, and winner of the National Waterfowl Taxidermy competition.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

DON'T use JC Rice off of 252 in the Laurens area...he SCREWED me over...lost my double banded mallard and mounted another bird saying it was mine. When I inquired about the whereabouts of the bands...he said,"What bands!?"

More on this story later...I am still trying to get something done about it.

Word to the wise - if you're getting a banded bird mounted, keep the band(s) and put them back on yourself once the bird is back in your hands.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

There is a guy in Columbia by the name of Stan Hughes. He has done some fish already for me and i have a wood duck getting done with him right now. He is really good. he does all sorts of stuff for museams and things so you know he has to be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Originally posted by willk:
    There is a guy in Columbia by the name of Stan Hughes. He has done some fish already for me and i have a wood duck getting done with him right now. He is really good. he does all sorts of stuff for museams and things so you know he has to be great.
    That drunk idiot has to be the worst in the state. He is a chronically habitual liar in addition to being a mediocre taxidermist. I have had several deer done by him and explained to him why I would never use him again after my last one... When you continually lie about turn around time and finish dates, you lose credibility and professionalism. Then he will screen your calls so he does not have to tell you again that he has not finished your mount - after he promised to have it done 6 months earlier.

Stay away from this idiot.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Tell us how you really feel and don't hold back this time.

There is a fellow near Ridgway off I-77 that mounted 2 woodrows for me last year. The cost was about $300 and the work was about a B+. I cannot remember his name but he does pretty good work with a quick turnaround. He WILL talk your ear off though!!!!

What is his name....?

Greco, is that Gene Schofield (sp?)? He is off of 34; if you go towards Winnsboro from I-77 and turn left at the first gas station/juke joint on the left (Kent's Korner, maybe?) he is back in there. If that's who you are talking about, I would give him an A+, at least on deer. He has done two for me and both were exceptional. I think he did one for jeff in the last couple years, too.

10-4... I agree on the deer - his stuff is jam up. Ducks are more finicky to stuff anyway so some of his fowl mounts look better than others. He does take great pride in what he does.

i would give Schofield an A+

do NOT ask him about USC sports, especially baseball, unless you have some spare time.

The Braggin' Shop. Wapiti Run. 3799 E. Peach Rd in Ridgeway
    803-337-8067 or 803 254-1051

i think he is semi-retired. gotta talk him into doing stuff for you. He did a hog mount for a buddy of mine that was exceptional. I have also seen one of his deer mounts (Nutz') and it is one of the best I have ever seen. Not sure on the ducks, other than the fact that he is quite talented and picky about his mounts...which is a good thing.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

2th is correct! Gene does a great job! He has done several geese and a bunch of ducks plus 2 deer for me and I am very pleased He did a Spec for me that is really outstanding!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Tooth, thanks for posting Gene's contact info; I was going to look it up when I got home tonight. I've never heard anything but positive feedback on his mounts.

Sasha, who is going to mount that bigun you shot this year?

Kirk - remember the black fellow who mounted my two deer? Grant Warren I think it was. He did a great job for a good price but I think he went out of bitness about 8 years ago. Wonder what happned to that fellow.

Bob McIlroy - Wateree Whitetails and Waterfowl
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Greco, I don't think I ever met him, but he did do a good job with your mounts.

Carl, I was just curious. I don't think I posted to your thread before, but that was a really nice buck. Congrats.

Gene does excellent work for sure. I could not be happier with the deer he mounted for me and I even had it back in less than two months. That's who will get my next one for sure.

The only bad thing is that it makes my other deer look like shit. The quality level between the two is night and day. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.