Thread: Trump Sucks

Default Trump Sucks

This is my 'God save King George!' moment from The Patriot, just wanted to get you attention. If you are here, take a few minutes and read the passage below. I heard this quoted the other day and figured a few of y'all could benefit from it:

Sadness, lack of recognition, and loneliness turn into bitterness…People who have been treated unjustly often lash out, seek ways to humiliate those who they feel have humiliated them.

Loneliness thus leads to meanness. As the saying goes, pain that is not transformed gets transmitted…

The social breakdown manifests as a crisis of distrust. Two generations ago, roughly 60 percent of Americans said that “most people can be trusted.” By 2014, according to the General Social Survey, only 30.3 percent did, and only 19 percent of millennials. High-trust societies have what Francis Fukuyama calls “spontaneous sociability” meaning that people are quick to get together and work together. Low-trust societies do not have this. Low-trust societies fall apart.

Distrust sows distrust. It creates a feeling that the only person you can count on is yourself. Distrustful people assume that others are out to get them, they exaggerate threats, they fall for conspiracy theories that explain the danger they feel.

Every society possesses what the philosopher Axel Honneth calls a “recognition order.” This is the criteria used to confer respect and recognition on some people and not others. In our society, we confer huge amounts of recognition on those with beauty, wealth, or prestigious educational affiliations, and millions feel invisible, unrecognized, and left out. The crisis in our personal lives eventually shows up in our politics. According to research by Ryan Streeter of the American Enterprise Institute, lonely people are seven times more likely than non-lonely people to say they are active in politics. For people who feel disrespected and unseen, politics is a seductive form of social therapy. Politics seems to offer a comprehensible moral landscape. We, the children of light, are facing off against them, the children of darkness. Politics seems to offer a sense of belonging. I am on the barricades with the other members of my tribe. Politics seems to offer an arena of moral action. To be moral in this world, you don’t have to feed the hungry or sit with the widow. You just have to be liberal or conservative, you just have to feel properly enraged at the people you find contemptible.

Over the past decade, everything has become politicized. Churches, universities, sports, food selection, movie awards shows, late-night comedy–they have all turned into political arenas. Except this was not politics as it is normally understood. Healthy societies produce the politics of distribution. How should the resources of the society be allocated? Unhappy societies produce the politics of recognition. Political movements these days are fueled largely by resentment, by a person or a group’s feelings that society does not respect or recognize them. The goal of political and media personalities is to produce episodes in which their side is emotionally validated and the other side is emotionally shamed. The person practicing the politics of recognition is not trying to formulate domestic policies or to address this or that social ill; he is trying to affirm his identity, to gain status and visibility, to find a way to admire himself.

But, of course, the politics of recognition doesn’t actually give you community and connection. People join partisan tribes, but they are not in fact meeting together, serving one another, befriending one another. Politics doesn’t make you a better person; it’s about outer agitation, not inner formation. Politics doesn’t humanize. If you attempt to assuage your sadness, loneliness, or anomie through politics, it will do nothing more than land you in a world marked by a sadistic striving for domination. You may try to escape a world of isolation and moral meaninglessness, only to find yourself in the pulverizing destructiveness of the culture wars.

– David Brooks, How to Know a Person, p. 100-102
    Formerly DM88

makes sense to me

Best part of that stupid shit was Francis Fukuyama

What has Kamala been thinking while they had her locked in a closet for the past 4 years? Maybe her lack of recognition and loneliness turned into the bitterness that led to her multiple staff disruptions and distrust.

She certainly did not fix our border and it is not do to the Republicans failing to pass legislation as they had congress on their side.

Do you really "know this person" who thinks she is qualified to be the President of our United States?
    Why will they not provide the full 60 minutes transcript?
    When has she otherwise presented so that the electorate can get to know her or her hidden policies/agendas.
    Who's running the show?

The goal of political and media personalities is to produce episodes in which their side is emotionally validated and the other side is emotionally shamed. The person practicing the politics of recognition is not trying to formulate domestic policies or to address this or that social ill; he is trying to affirm his identity, to gain status and visibility, to find a way to admire himself.
    perspective
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Pretty spot on.
    DILLIGAF

i should've waited for the 1227 more responses that proved it, but I just cant help myself....

All the political discourse used to be funny to me to read. But I am shifting more and more to just feeling a sense of sadness for a lot of the people around me. I watch as they allow politics, the 'culture war' and the like consume more and more of their core identity. All the while they don't even seem to realize it.

Before they know it, they are just miserable, angry people, spewing out their anger at every opportunity. Just sad now. I'm sure there will be plenty of typical responses, but maybe someone out there in the SCDucks world will read it and it will actually help them see things clearly.... I can hope any way
    Formerly DM88

Also, The title of the thread was just to get people's attention to click on the thread, thus the 'God Save King George' Reference from The Patriot. As the kids say these days IYKYK
    Formerly DM88

you outkicked your audience by a loooong way

outkicked.

so I’ll leave a pic in my stead.

IMG_0384.jpeg

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post

The social breakdown manifests as a crisis of distrust. Two generations ago, roughly 60 percent of Americans said that “most people can be trusted.” By 2014, according to the General Social Survey, only 30.3 percent did, and only 19 percent of millennials.
    I would say that 30.3% depends on the location of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    All the political discourse used to be funny to me to read. But I am shifting more and more to just feeling a sense of sadness for a lot of the people around me. I watch as they allow politics, the 'culture war' and the like consume more and more of their core identity. All the while they don't even seem to realize it.

Before they know it, they are just miserable, angry people, spewing out their anger at every opportunity. Just sad now. I'm sure there will be plenty of typical responses, but maybe someone out there in the SCDucks world will read it and it will actually help them see things clearly.... I can hope any way
    It's all just so sad. And whatever 2oofer was blithering about. So, I guess its sadness with a side of perspective.