Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirogue Rub Rail replacement

Screenshot 2024-10-17 122000.jpg

No idea if there's any fuel surcharge or what tax will be but itll be an even split. Please confirm and I can always add more.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 10-17-2024 at 11:22 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Clarifying. I called Steve at shipwright...

He said give him the model for the order and they will cut the rails to spec.

So please send that info over. We'll handle reimbursement once I have a clear billing figure. Placing order Monday.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Just now seeing this, the vinyl is very durable but damn they're ugly. I replaced Cypress rails one time doing the same thing that Justin did and I did not have a problem with them splitting. However, the PVC I did on a cottonmouth probably close to a decade ago is still holding up and very durable. If y'all want I'll gladly post a picture of how I did it.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Did you glass the pvc rails on?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I did not but if you flipped it upside down, capped the ends, I think you could fill it full of epoxy but it would add a lot of weight though. I'll try to get a picture of what I did this morning that has held up for so many years.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 10-19-2024 at 06:39 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

My buddy glassed pvc pipe on his old Chapman but it made it a lot heavier. I bet all you'd need is 5200 adhesive to hold the pvc pipe in place.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I actually cut the PVC with a skill saw lengthwise and pretty much snapped it in place it does not come off didn't need to be glassed in. How I attached the two sides together on the ends is what keeps it all locked in.

They are simply bolted together. It extends the length about 6 in on each end but it makes a good grab handle. It is never come undoing and never broken.20241019_081200.jpg20241019_081137.jpg20241019_081130.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

That's slick! My buddy glassed a pvc pipe gunnel to repair his years ago, looks like a factory repair but dang it added weight. Being lightweight is one of the qualities that makes a Chapman pirogue one of the best on the market.

Sorry, I am busier'n a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Three of us???

Wilk has one for a king model?
    Island Hunter two Cottonmouths
    Salt Marsh one Cottonmouth
    Me two cottonmouths-one mudbug.

Cali i'd have to see that set up before buying in. I am rougher'n most on shit. How did you rip the pvc?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Sorry, I am busier'n a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Three of us???

Wilk has one for a king model?
    Island Hunter two Cottonmouths
    Salt Marsh one Cottonmouth
    Me two cottonmouths-one mudbug.

Cali i'd have to see that set up before buying in. I am rougher'n most on shit. How did you rip the pvc?
    table saw or skill saw....don't recall.

I am in for a mudbug, not a cotton mouth. its the one I bought from Calibogue a couple of years ago.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post
    I am in for a mudbug, not a cotton mouth. its the one I bought from Calibogue a couple of years ago.
    Gotcha. I'll place the order this afternoon. I think I still have your number and will text you the break down of shipping and any unknown fees. If unknown fees are stupid, I'll get approval from y'all before I proceed.

If you decide to order these, shoot me a DM before agreeing to the quoted shipping prices. I might be able to help there.

The vinyl is great, but not indestructible! I have a Cottonmouth that I added the vinyl rails to and there's a chunk taken out of the vinyl after a few years of hunting abuse! Still very usable and hasn't been an issue so far, but just know that they aren't indestructible!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL