Thread: Laser rangefinder scaring deer?

Default Laser rangefinder scaring deer?

I had a good 8 point coming from the back of the field towards me probably 15 minutes before official sunrise. I had been watching him for several minutes just waiting for him to get closer so I could make sure it was the buck I thought it was. He was in no hurry and was coming straight across towards me. I have a pair of the Vortex rangefinder binoculars that I use most of the time. I decided to range him just to see how far he is and as soon as I pushed the button to get a distance, he took off. He ran probably 50 yards or so and then went to a steady walk out of the field for another 50 yards.

Am I thinking too much into this or do you guys think he saw the laser? He didn't blow or anything, just walked out the field. I haven't ranged many deer with them over the last 2 years but the ones I have, I've never noticed one act like he/she saw anything.

coincidence.

The laser/red light on infared trail cameras spooks them.

Sent from my motorola edge 2024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-16-2024 at 02:26 PM.

Supposedly they don't see the red flash color itself, but the bright spot that wasn't there a second ago may well catch their attention just like it will with coyotes and hogs.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

We ranged them all summer and never had one spook.

He sees you moving your arms around probably...
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I'm assuming he saw movement he didn't like lit up against the rising sun behind you. I would highly doubt a rangefinder spooked him. He saw a lens flash, or your arms move.

I was inside a blind... back inside the blind. There was no sun and we had heavy cloud cover. Deer was roughly 340-350 yards away. It was dark enough and he was far enough that I'm just guessing he was one I have on camera... it was a big deer that had the frame of an 8 point. I couldn't count the points on him.

Anything is possible. I wouldn't think he saw me as the window I was looking out of is only maybe 10 inches wide. I didn't look into the binos.. I did push the button and didn't see anything on my hand held in front of them. I did have a 7 point about 20 yards to my left that was walking across the field in his general direction. I wouldn't think that deer would have run him off either. The 7 point didn't act as if he had even seen the other deer.

Not sure what happened with your deer, but I can tell you that it absolutely bothers beavers. A green laser doesn't doesn't seem to have the same affect on them. But the red will move them quick.

I've used visible laser pointers to intentionally spook deer away from a stand so I could climb down without educating them to where the stand is. Deer can see red or green laser pointers. A range finder uses lasers that are supposed to be outside the visible spectrum, just like game cameras and infrared designators for night vision scopes. I'm inclined to think it was coincidence but I'd sure try it on some other deer and see if you can get a reaction.

Were you wearing your HECS suit?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; Yesterday at 09:18 AM.

I outfit all of my deer in HECS suits so that they can't feel the electromagnetics emanating from my gadgetry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350 yards away inside a blind 45min before sunrise?
    yes, you are overthinking it.

deer DEFINITELY look at the glowing light on a trail cam. that i can say with some certainty.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

So, puffing on a deer whistle before sunrise is a no no?

Asking for a friend.

Good luck, keep after it. I hope you get your first deer soon!