Thread: Son/Daughter in law dodge a bullet from Helene

Default Son/Daughter in law dodge a bullet from Helene

Back in spring we had a big water oak split and were lucky in that it just damaged gutters on front part of our house

After that my Wife agreed to remove a huge water oak right outside our bedroom , tree guy say we have been very lucky in that the roots were not very wide and it was kind of on a mound of dirt

Well I have mentioned to my Son and Daughter in law couple times they need to remove big oak right behind their house and yes they agreed but like some of us we kind of keep putting stuff like that off

Worried yesterday w Daughter in law getting our grandsons to her parents before she had to get to Anmed and talked to her several times to make sure she was good (she is truly our 2nd daughter )

Got call from our son (UPS ) and he asked if I could go check on their house since neighbor called him and said “a tree is down in your back yard but I do not think it got the house but not sure “ . Needless to say Wife and I hit the road and were shocked at how many trees down , roads completely blocked and damage every where

Just before we got to their drive way another huge oak was down and completely blocked the road so I had to walk from that point in pouring down rain worried about what I was going to find and whole time wife telling me make sure no power lines on the ground (they were still up )

Apparently all this happened right after DIL left with the boys to her parents and work but

IMG_6425.jpgIMG_6429.jpgIMG_6431.jpgIMG_6430.jpgIMG_6428.jpg

Looks like to me that the tree did well to fall how it did.

Glad it worked out!

They were very lucky, that part of the house you see is a great room that added on about 4 yrs ago and they LOVE that patio out back (that was a gift from us to them )

Scariest part is the boys bedrooms would have been right in line with that tree had a it come down while they were home

Sad note, right below my office is Mimosa Trailer park that has been there for years. Yesterday am a big oak crushed one of the mobile homes and killed a lady , when Cindy and I went to check on my office the crews were still trying to get her out. Her husband did make it out

We lost power about 6:45 am and got it back on around 8pm last night but lot of folks will not have power for days

Please keep everyone affected by this storm in your thoughts in prayers , worse storm I have ever seen hit upstate that I can recall

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Looks like to me that the tree did well to fall how it did.

Glad it worked out!
    SHOCKED it fell that way to be honest. Really tore my Son/DIL’s nerves up

Funny thing is the 2 boys think it is cool. Ross said they were all over that tree till dark last night , it did not touch the small basketball court or their Tree House we have built you see in the back ground

Ross said funniest thing was seeing them both standing on the tree pissing on it . That’s our grand boys. I call them the “Wrecking Crew II “
    Last edited by tprice; Today at 06:27 AM.