Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best whole home generator

Be glad to discuss on individual basis. The solution for one isn’t always the best for the next.

Mines been running since 3 am. And everyone’s calling wanting a gen hooked up today.

I’d say we are in for a 2-3 day outage.

For all the do it yourselfers, know that gensets can backfeed to the mainline and kill the very folks working to restore your power in certain situations. Know what you are doing...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    For all the do it yourselfers, know that gensets can backfeed to the mainline and kill the very folks working to restore your power in certain situations. Know what you are doing...
    Correct!

The interlock kit that DC referenced is a must.

https://interlockkit.com/product-cat...QaAn_lEALw_wcB

GenerLink is probably the easiest and safest way to connect, but Dominion Energy will not allow them on your home. I can't speak for Duke, Santee or any of the coops.

https://www.globalpowerproducts.com/...ansfer-switch/

I'd take a look at briggs and stratton. I was all about a generac and someone told me to compare the warranties. Also the weekly exercise for the briggs and stratton is only 6 seconds. I did lot research 2 years ago. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Me? I am a Cummins Onan man. 25 years worth of sterling service. You might notice that I said we just put in a new Generac. It really needs to be all about your location and service availability. Could not work with the local Onan people and went through 3 different Generac people until I found my old country guy from Walterboro...

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    I'd take a look at briggs and stratton. I was all about a generac and someone told me to compare the warranties. Also the weekly exercise for the briggs and stratton is only 6 seconds. I did lot research 2 years ago. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.
    Think the briggs I bought had a 10 year warranty....10 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

ThisIMG_7243.jpg

Plus the interlock mentioned above and a soft start on the A/C is now moving up the priority list.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

You've got to read the fine print on the warranty. My briggs and stratton came with a 5 year full warranty. The generac was also 5 years but only the first 2 covered everything. The second 2 were like parts only and the last was only major parts. Or something to that effect. Briggs and stratton covered everything. Even the travel and transfer switch. While i see others points in just getting a larger portable and the quick connect switch, you still have to go outside in the middle of the storm to crank it, refuel it ect. Also you might not need as large of a stand by as you think. My water heater and stove are both gas so I don't have to worry about running those off the generator. I also have a wood burning fireplace so running the heat pump is also not a factor. All of the contractors I talked to wanted to sell me a 22k, which is way overkill for what I need. After talking with my electrician and my cousin who is a contractor it was determined the 12.5kw briggs and stratton would be more than enough to live comfortably if we lost power. I then got quotes ranging from 7k-14k for the same job. Ended up buying everything myself and paid my electrician to hook it up for about $4500.