Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best whole home generator

Default Best whole home generator

This storm has me thinking. My house is wired for a generator. What is the best brand? I can't find Onan.

I’ve always heard good things about Generac,
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Kholer.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’m not going spend the coin on an automatic generator , But I’ll have an interlock kit and a circuit to back feed my panel set up and ready to go by the end of next week.

Storm woke me up at 5 and at the rate I’ve heard trees falling I bet there’s 10yrs worth of firewood laying in my yard
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I’ll be glad to answer questions about generators. I’m an application engineer for CAT generators. We have down to 20kw.

I’ll give you a practical response.

Most fuel efficient to run a 2800sf house and a shop with 5 freezers? They are on separate services but only 140ft apart.
    cut\'em

Look up Onan under Cummins Onan. There is Cummins sales and service on north side of Spartanburg that sales their generator products. Or, at least , used to.

Mine is a Cummins. Works like a charm as long as the battery isn’t dead. Just had to jump mine with the truck but she’s running.

I don't think an automatic whole home generator is worth it, but a larger 8000-9500 kw generator with an interlock system that Duck Cutter mentioned would be. That would be enough to run most all homes, including your AC if you installed a soft start kit on the AC unit.

With my little 4000kw generator, I can run my house (lights, two fridges, counter over, microwave, one leg of the water heater, fans, etc) without any problem. It's not going to run all 240v of the water heat and it doesn't kick on my AC, but it get's us by. It's just a matter of time before I go by a large predator and a soft start kit for the AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Most fuel efficient to run a 2800sf house and a shop with 5 freezers? They are on separate services but only 140ft apart.
    5 freezers? Do you keep enough food on hand to survive the apocalypse or are you a taxidermist?

The house we bought had a 20kw generac installed with automatic transfer switch. It has been nice to have and we've never had a problem with it.

This calculator might help with sizing...

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...Generator.html

There is a reason Generac has 70% of the whole home standby market. It's kinda what I do for a living so if you have any questions I'll be glad to help

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    I’ll be glad to answer questions about generators. I’m an application engineer for CAT generators. We have down to 20kw.

I’ll give you a practical response.
    Smilee helped me tremendously understand what I needed for my house. I would take him up on this offer.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Bought a Briggs and stratton standby 10 years ago. Been great. I replaced a battery before it was no good (ahem Glenda), and had to replace a relay for starter...change earl and filters. It's been a blessing. We are the last house on the line and our power goes out regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Bought a Briggs and stratton standby 10 years ago. Been great. I replaced a battery before it was no good (ahem Glenda), and had to replace a relay for starter...change earl and filters. It's been a blessing. We are the last house on the line and our power goes out regularly.
    Brand new battery less than 2 months old. Not sure what’s killing it but my lectric man will get to the bottom of it.

And whoever said a whole home genset wasn’t worth it has never had one. #WorthIt

They brought the gas for my new Generac yesterday morning. Talk about in the nick of time...

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I don't think an automatic whole home generator is worth it, but a larger 8000-9500 kw generator with an interlock system that Duck Cutter mentioned would be. That would be enough to run most all homes, including your AC if you installed a soft start kit on the AC unit.

With my little 4000kw generator, I can run my house (lights, two fridges, counter over, microwave, one leg of the water heater, fans, etc) without any problem. It's not going to run all 240v of the water heat and it doesn't kick on my AC, but it get's us by. It's just a matter of time before I go by a large predator and a soft start kit for the AC.
    I just looked into the soft start kits for AC's after reading this, thanks.

Since Hurricane Matthew, I've had a 8000 kw generator that I've been able to hook up to the house and power everything except for the AC. We have a little rolling portable room AC unit that we can power and at least keep the Master bedroom cool if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Smilee helped me tremendously understand what I needed for my house. I would take him up on this offer.
    Share the advise and knowledge with the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    I just looked into the soft start kits for AC's after reading this, thanks.

Since Hurricane Matthew, I've had a 8000 kw generator that I've been able to hook up to the house and power everything except for the AC. We have a little rolling portable room AC unit that we can power and at least keep the Master bedroom cool if needed.
    Soft start kits, in general, are a good idea. Helps reduce the wear and tear of the unit as it starts up and offers less energy consumption during start up if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Share the advise and knowledge with the rest of us.
    Mine was very plan specific related to running two (Honda 2000's) but the low down was - Wire another (emergency) panel from the main panel. Place a doubel throw in between that the generator would connect to.

Imagine this would be the same running a bigger generator. We already had these two generators when I asked him for help with no intentions of getting another one. The purpose of the two hondas were easy to move and crank. Usually during storms, I am not at home due to work, so the wife is left with the house.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Brand new battery less than 2 months old. Not sure what’s killing it but my lectric man will get to the bottom of it.

And whoever said a whole home genset wasn’t worth it has never had one. #WorthIt
    Well as I was.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?