Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dog Lookin

Or get a real dog and go with a chessie.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    The one trait I am disappointed in in all 3 is the excited whining in the blind.
    That bad trait comes standard in a lot of yellows.

Quote Originally Posted by youngun15 View Post
    Reds got viszla
    Where did you read this?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Or get a real dog and go with a chessie.
    No. Chessies suck. Always get a lab. Or a Boykin if you’re really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    The one trait I am disappointed in in all 3 is the excited whining in the blind. I have never seen an English lab whine in the blind like these dogs.
    This. From my understanding , American field trials, and the folks that frequent them have bred a dog that is high-strung and goes hard. The British labs are calmer. My American will also whine. She usually gets over it after a while, but when the hunt is on, she knows it. Doesn't make a peep any other time.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    This part of your response made me chuckle. But it explains it perfect. haha

Wish I could afford the coin to go the started dog this time, although my wife and kids would much rather have a puppy pissin 'n shittin and tearin stuff up around the house.
    Based on what I've seen, a professionally started dog definitely gives you big advantage to building a great dog to hunt under but like you, I was never in the financial position to do so. Successfully training the dog yourself is a pretty satisfying feeling but it takes a lot of hands-on effort to get there.
    The one thing I mentioned in my previous post that is worth repeating, "And one last note, if you're training the dog yourself, or even if you use a trainer in the first few years, do not let the kids, wife or friends try to handle the dog. They can quickly teach your dog bad habits that are contrary to what you're trying to teach them."
    After getting the basic commands down (come, heal, sit) which are the bedrock to successful training, I found that the kids, wife and friends did not have complete control of the dog before throwing the training bumpers/dummies and the dog was learning bad habits that had to be corrected. Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't a total ass about it, I still let others throw a tennis ball for the dog when it was playtime but when the training bumpers came out it was time to do work. The dog knew the difference between the two and loved to chase a tennis ball but when it was time to do work her energy level and focus was much more intense. On another note, I never threw sticks or allowed anyone else to throw sticks for the dog.

Good luck in your search, hope you find what you're looking for.

Let’s really spice it up.

Will you train the lab the British way or the American way? Will you FF?

I hate a whiny dog. This is my new dog. We will see how it goes.

IMG_7201.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Based on what I've seen, a professionally started dog definitely gives you big advantage to building a great dog to hunt under but like you, I was never in the financial position to do so. Successfully training the dog yourself is a pretty satisfying feeling but it takes a lot of hands-on effort to get there.
    The one thing I mentioned in my previous post that is worth repeating, "And one last note, if you're training the dog yourself, or even if you use a trainer in the first few years, do not let the kids, wife or friends try to handle the dog. They can quickly teach your dog bad habits that are contrary to what you're trying to teach them."
    After getting the basic commands down (come, heal, sit) which are the bedrock to successful training, I found that the kids, wife and friends did not have complete control of the dog before throwing the training bumpers/dummies and the dog was learning bad habits that had to be corrected. Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't a total ass about it, I still let others throw a tennis ball for the dog when it was playtime but when the training bumpers came out it was time to do work. The dog knew the difference between the two and loved to chase a tennis ball but when it was time to do work her energy level and focus was much more intense. On another note, I never threw sticks or allowed anyone else to throw sticks for the dog.

Good luck in your search, hope you find what you're looking for.
    I completely understand what you are saying and know I will be constantly fighting an uphill battle with how I would prefer the dog be trained and how my wife and kids would prefer it be trained. I saw those same bad actions come from the difference on how I would set-up and throw bumpers to my GSP and how my kids would fetch with him. It DID teach him bad habits.

Interesting thread on this rainy day.

I like the English look and demeanor, and still maintain that Chalmers was the best of the bunch so far. She is the yellow below and was a a result of a group of breeders trying to breed a dual champion - bench and field dog. She'd been introduced to birds and was beginning to work on tracking, since she was one of two puppies left and they were planning to make a search and rescue dog out of whichever one they kept. A client of mine put me on the pups and had picked her black sister for me, after I sold one of her training properties, and I told her what I was looking for in a dog. However, the black pretty much withdrew from my kids while Chalmers took right to them, so with left with the yellow. Chalmers was pretty much 100% English Lab. The big fear with her was drive, because she was so calm as a puppy. She absolutely loved to hunt, and it was never a problem, even in 3-4' swells in a gale off the Outerbanks. She had a terrific nose, would dive for a wounded bird, and would lay under my desk all day. Steady as they come, to boot. Easiest dog I've ever trained. After her, I'll always have a soft spot for labs with Square heads and double coats. I'm not campaigning my dogs, they're pets that hunt. My days of hunting hard like I did with Chalmers may be waning, though, and I don't know that I'll ever have another one with as many retrieves, travel, or experience as this one.

Lass, the Black, is a great dog. She's a mix of American and English dogs, with one Chalmers' littermates being a grand sire - I found that out the day I picked her up and saw Tiger on the Pedigree. When we got our pick of the litter, there were two bigger square headed bitches with double coats on their backs and a couple smaller ones with more American looks - smaller heads, single coats. I'd have taken either of the bigger females, but this one was fetching a plush toy and locked onto my Son and I. There's a lot of field trial dog in Lass - she has a big motor, and is a work horse, but also has a decent off switch. She will whine in the truck, and on the stand until she gets a retrieve or two. She likes to go, all the time, but is a good retriever and great pet. I think this third season with her is starting off better than ever. She knows what's expected and has settled down a bit.

The red lab, Beaux was backyard bred, and was my first lab. He had EIC and was prone to have seizures when he got excited. I had to grab him off the bow of the boat one morning running the Catawba on the way to the hole. First time he did it, the wife and I were in a dove field, and he flipped over about three good leaps into the first retrieve of the afternoon. He was short-lived and I found him in his pen one evening after work when I went to get him. He only lived 7 years. After that, I decided to pay the price going forward and use reputable breeders. I could never stop him from trying to catch the first bird of the hunt on the way down; He'd break on the first bird only, every damn time, but he also taught me to love a lab. I can't see a point in my life of ever not having one.

All that to say, breeding is first and foremost for me- healthy parents and from hunting/trial stock. I will always want to see some English lineage, and may even go back to an English with trial and hunting background. Doubt I'll ever own another male.

Beau.jpg Beaux

Chalmers Ducks.jpg Chalmers in the swamp

Chalms Duck Blood.jpg Chalmers covered in duck blood - good head shot

lass 2023.jpg Lass

dogs.jpg Our current bunch of hounds. Lined up in Crazy order left to right, lol - although the Weimaraner is starting to chill out some and the GSP will give her a run for her money at times. The cur is pretty decent on a blood trail.
    Last edited by Slaya; Today at 03:37 PM. Reason: pics

That group looks like a lot of fun Slaya

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Interesting thread on this rainy day.

I like the English look and demeanor, and still maintain that Chalmers was the best of the bunch so far. She is the yellow below and was a a result of a group of breeders trying to breed a dual champion - bench and field dog. She'd been introduced to birds and was beginning to work on tracking, since she was one of two puppies left and they were planning to make a search and rescue dog out of whichever one they kept. A client of mine put me on the pups and had picked her black sister for me, after I sold one of her training properties, and I told her what I was looking for in a dog. However, the black pretty much withdrew from my kids while Chalmers took right to them, so with left with the yellow. Chalmers was pretty much 100% English Lab. The big fear with her was drive, because she was so calm as a puppy. She absolutely loved to hunt, and it was never a problem, even in 3-4' swells in a gale off the Outerbanks. She had a terrific nose, would dive for a wounded bird, and would lay under my desk all day. Steady as they come, to boot. Easiest dog I've ever trained. After her, I'll always have a soft spot for labs with Square heads and double coats. I'm not campaigning my dogs, they're pets that hunt. My days of hunting hard like I did with Chalmers may be waning, though, and I don't know that I'll ever have another one with as many retrieves, travel, or experience as this one.

Lass, the Black, is a great dog. She's a mix of American and English dogs, with one Chalmers' littermates being a grand sire - I found that out the day I picked her up and saw Tiger on the Pedigree. When we got our pick of the litter, there were two bigger square headed bitches with double coats on their backs and a couple smaller ones with more American looks - smaller heads, single coats. I'd have taken either of the bigger females, but this one was fetching a plush toy and locked onto my Son and I. There's a lot of field trial dog in Lass - she has a big motor, and is a work horse, but also has a decent off switch. She will whine in the truck, and on the stand until she gets a retrieve or two. She likes to go, all the time, but is a good retriever and great pet. I think this third season with her is starting off better than ever. She knows what's expected and has settled down a bit.

The red lab, Beaux was backyard bred, and was my first lab. He had EIC and was prone to have seizures when he got excited. I had to grab him off the bow of the boat one morning running the Catawba on the way to the hole. First time he did it, the wife and I were in a dove field, and he flipped over about three good leaps into the first retrieve of the afternoon. He was short-lived and I found him in his pen one evening after work when I went to get him. He only lived 7 years. After that, I decided to pay the price going forward and use reputable breeders. I could never stop him from trying to catch the first bird of the hunt on the way down; He'd break on the first bird only, every damn time, but he also taught me to love a lab. I can't see a point in my life of ever not having one.

All that to say, breeding is first and foremost for me- healthy parents and from hunting/trial stock. I will always want to see some English lineage, and may even go back to an English with trial and hunting background. Doubt I'll ever own another male.

Beau.jpg Beaux

Chalmers Ducks.jpg Chalmers in the swamp

Chalms Duck Blood.jpg Chalmers covered in duck blood - good head shot

lass 2023.jpg Lass

dogs.jpg Our current bunch of hounds. Lined up in Crazy order left to right, lol - although the Weimaraner is starting to chill out some and the GSP will give her a run for her money at times. The cur is pretty decent on a blood trail.
    Thank you for your well thought out response, Slaya. As your dog was one of the ones I picked out of the group. I appreciate the explanation and break down of your 3 different labs you have had over the years. (basically another vote saying stay away from back yard breeders)
    Lass is a great looking dog, glad to hear she is starting her 3rd year off strong but also has an off switch. (my old GSP was stuck ON)
    What is your reason for NOT wanting another male?
    I'm wanting a female this time around.

Oh, And I agree with murraywader that looks like a fun group of dogs!

Reds got viszla and silvers got weimaraner.... black, yellow and chocolate. Let Rhett find you one.
    Interesting info, just never heard it ‘till now. Another tidbit is that one of the original five breeders of ‘Fox Red’ Labs was Queen Elizabeth back in the 70’s.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Not sure it's allowed here but someone sent me a link today that sent me down a worm hole....lol

Basically a pedigree data base with litters and planned litter you can search by state with attached picks of sire/dam etc.

HuntingLabPedigree.com (delete if not allowed)
    Last edited by Short_track_champ; Today at 05:42 PM.