Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dog Lookin

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    This is a really well informed thread.
    be careful. mixed breed dog people can get real emotional....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    One (chocolate) from Abbeville used to. Then Bubba taught him some fucking manners at the boat ramp one morning.
    Damn Right!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Im in the market soon as well. I have had several chocolates over the years with too many allergies and skin issues.

The red labs have me intrigued by their looks, are they just as bad as chocolates as far as health issues go?
    No such thing as a "Red" lab. Black, Chocolate, and Yellow. The list ends there. The red color is nothing more than a variation of Yellow.

Health issues come in all colors and majority of the time it is from bad breeding. I know of many chocolate dogs with zero health issues, they all come from good breeding. Find a good breeder or trainer and let them point you in the direction of a quality breeding with health tested parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    Lean, long legged, female, focused, rocketship
    Describes the ideal dog. (And woman)

If you're looking for a "fox red", get in touch with Tracy Hayes in NC. If you go the chocolate route, (or any other color for that matter), get with Rhett Riddle. I can get you their contact info if you want it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I've owned 3 labs over the last 40 years, one black and two yellows, all females. All three were what you would call American labs, all three had a beautiful head and full muzzles. ( no pointy faced bitches). All three had papers but I never registered either of them, just wasn't something I needed for how I wanted to use the dogs.
    The black was my first one and I used the book by Richard Wolters, Water Dog. The first 4 or 5 chapters focused on the pup stage and obedience training (sit, come, stay) and didn't address retriever training until later chapters. I ended up using the same book for the 2nd and 3rd dog. They all turned out to be very capable hunters.
    My early perception of the American verses English Labs at the time were English were truer to the Lab line and many thought the American to be a lesser version of a true Lab. (yard dog, trash) While some purists still believe this, most have accepted the American version as an equal to the English with very noticeable differences in characteristics. The American being leaner and more capable as a Field Lab is what I was looking for.
    As far as red or silver labs, I'm of the opinion there are only three true colors, black, yellow and chocolate.

Here's a pic of my last one in her prime. I had her for 14 years, I never hunted ducks with her, but she was a hell of a companion that accompanied me on many dove, rabbit, squirrel, turkey and deer hunts.

abby.jpg

Regardless of which type or color you choose, spend as much time as possible with them.
    And one last note, if you're training the dog yourself, or even if you use a trainer in the first few years, do not let the kids, wife or friends try to handle the dog. They can quickly teach your dog bad habits that are contrary to what you're trying to teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    No such thing as a "Red" lab. Black, Chocolate, and Yellow. The list ends there. The red color is nothing more than a variation of Yellow.

Health issues come in all colors and majority of the time it is from bad breeding. I know of many chocolate dogs with zero health issues, they all come from good breeding. Find a good breeder or trainer and let them point you in the direction of a quality breeding with health tested parents.
    You forgot the almighty silver.

Props to him for at least going with a lab.

genetics play a role in blocky heads Red is a dark shade of yellow. You will find yellow labs the range from nearly white to dark red. skin conditions are generally a result of poor and or uninformed breeding. Spend your money on a good well bred dog from a reputable hunting/ hunt test breeder. You will save untold thousands in later health issues.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

Let Rhett find you a dog, and if you don’t know what you’re doing, let Rhett train the aforementioned dog
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I am partial to a more square head lab, also partial to small females. No fun to try an handle a 80lb male on hunts. Also, (saw LL's post below mine) I've got nothing against a big male, my preference is just to have a smaller dog that I can put a vest on and easily handle if I need to. Additionally (to me), 50 or 55 lbs getting around/in and out of a boat is a lot different than 80!

This was Pepper Anne at about 6 months old, she grew to about 55lbs which was the perfect size to me. Had to put her down two years ago, she was 13. Hunted her hard until she was bout 8, then she lived the good life for her remaining years. She was a great dog!

8-30-2010.jpg
    Last edited by dubs; Today at 09:40 AM.
    Formerly DM88

Reds got viszla and silvers got weimaraner.... black, yellow and chocolate. Let Rhett find you one.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Here is my boy. All 80 pounds. Super amazing retriever and family pet. Don't worry too much about face, genetics is key.

gunner.jpg
    Last edited by LabLuvR; Today at 09:34 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by youngun15 View Post
    Reds got viszla and silvers got weimaraner.... black, yellow and chocolate. Let Rhett find you one.
    I was going to say the red ones sure do look like our V

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Don't worry too much about face, genetics is key.
    Bet you used that with all the ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Not trying to be an a-hole, but what is with the emphasis on facial structure?

I'd be more concerned with the demeanor of the dam and sire.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Bet you used that with all the ladies...
    Hahahahaha

Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m real weird about looks of the dogs also. I like the close eye’s blocky head look. Rhett’s dog chop was who I breed my female to. I was going to breed my new female but decided to wait on a pup from “ Smack”
    He’s a good looking dog and great retriever.
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Didn't mean to get into a purist battle on lab colors. Let me refrain, A fox reddish "yellow" lab caught my attention on a hunt one afternoon. I really liked his coat.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    ( no pointy faced bitches).
    This part of your response made me chuckle. But it explains it perfect. haha

Wish I could afford the coin to go the started dog this time, although my wife and kids would much rather have a puppy pissin 'n shittin and tearin stuff up around the house.

I've got a buddy who is breeding his fox red to another fox red out of Minnesota. I like the reddish tint but sometimes they can get a little too red for me. Gonna be interesting to see what comes out of this breeding color wise. The male is pretty dark.

I have had 3 American yellow males. The first two were backyard litters with decent papers. My current dog came from breeder that used to be a member here. The sire was "Ticket" full name was Oak Grove Kennels Exceeding Safe Speed. He came out of a dog from Texas named Pin Oak's Texas Rex. I feel like I went from a Studebaker to a Lamborghini. First two had skin and ear issues. Current dog is 11 and has had ZERO allergy issues. The one trait I am disappointed in in all 3 is the excited whining in the blind. I have never seen an English lab whine in the blind like these dogs.
    DILLIGAF