Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathroom Renovation Columbia

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Maybe not, water damage, Bathrooms, kitchen, floor tile, laminate flooring, and landscaping. You gotta have a budget and council to protect the pocket book. You don't want your buddy doing it either. Anyway it works for me.
    I just had one that said they were on a budget, I consulted with them on everything and presented the options all the way through. He doubled the size of the deck, chose the most expensive composite decking line Timbertech made (their budget was for KDAT decking) went from a $25K deck to a $52K deck, hardwood over the LVT they originally chose, chose a downdraft and gas range that was $4k over the $4K budget I had for them, on and on. This didn't even take in the rot we uncovered, the encapsulation of the crawlspace, new front porch steps etc. They were adding things left and right, he got pissed at me, she got pissed at him, I got paid and they found a marriage counselor after being married for 40yrs. They hired a cheap guy to do the bathroom we uncovered rot in after I had designed it without telling me, called me last week to please come back and help them out, nope I'm done with that one. They ended up spending 2.5X what their budget was just with me. I see a lot of this be it new construction or renovations.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Default Bathroom Renovation Columbia

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I got to see a 30,000sqft build going on in Tryon the other day with a 6,000sqft guesthouse. How many motherfrickers do you even know that can't stay in a 30k foot house that you need 6k more to hold them all? Horse people are weird...
    About 1000 sq ft with good insulation and no cell service.

And a couple hundred acres. Had to add that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JOHNSON; Yesterday at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I just had one that said they were on a budget, I consulted with them on everything and presented the options all the way through. He doubled the size of the deck, chose the most expensive composite decking line Timbertech made (their budget was for KDAT decking) went from a $25K deck to a $52K deck, hardwood over the LVT they originally chose, chose a downdraft and gas range that was $4k over the $4K budget I had for them, on and on. This didn't even take in the rot we uncovered, the encapsulation of the crawlspace, new front porch steps etc. They were adding things left and right, he got pissed at me, she got pissed at him, I got paid and they found a marriage counselor after being married for 40yrs. They hired a cheap guy to do the bathroom we uncovered rot in after I had designed it without telling me, called me last week to please come back and help them out, nope I'm done with that one. They ended up spending 2.5X what their budget was just with me. I see a lot of this be it new construction or renovations.
    When you start making changes to the project it really escalates the cost. I do budget quotes (which is not a firm price) and firm quotes every day from $200 to 5M. It is difficult to write in all the exclusions to the quote but I try. Signed change orders cut down on the amount of changes and the customer can see what the cost addition is all along. I dont deal with the general public but i can really see how it can get out of control. I do have to counsel the wife when she says why cant we do this instead i tell her it is going to double the cost.
    Last edited by centurian; Today at 07:13 AM.

Here is some novel advise. Let the wife pick the contractor and the customer selection (fixtures, color, tile, ect) with a little guidence. Maybe have to haul a little material. Then when it goes long or out of control it is her fault it is fucked up. You may still have to get involved to rescue the project but it is in a hero position not in the asshole position. That has worked for me the last ten years well.
    Hilarious. Doing that right now. And I had to get involved just last week to get things back on track.
    Carolina Counsel

When you start making changes to the project it really escalates the cost. I do budget quotes (which is not a firm price) and firm quotes every day from $200 to 5M. It is difficult to write in all the exclusions to the quote but I try. Signed change orders cut down on the amount of changes and the customer can see what the cost addition is all along. I dont deal with the general public but i can really see how it can get out of control. I do have to counsel the wife when she says why cant we do this instead i tell her it is going to double the cost.
    I do a strictly cost plus basis on residential renovations. Things are so fluid and I know changes are going to be made all the time, you change it, you pay for it and we keep rolling. If a contractor is doing lump sum on a renovation, they are losing money and it'll be a fight in the end to get paid, heck it's fight at times on CP. I give the client a tally sheet of every receipt the first day of the month, if they want copies of the receipts they get those too. Pay the bill by the 8th because I pay all of mine on the 10th, don't pay, don't call asking where we are, my subs and suppliers are still getting paid. I communicate in writing on any decisions affecting costs through e-mail and am quick to tell someone when they say just do it to put it in writing, then I have something to fall back on. I can't count the number of times where people try to say you told us it would cost this and I pull up the e-mail and sometimes text saying otherwise. Most renovations are just a budget based on a few meetings, it's going to change. I tell people to plan for the initial budget being 75% minimum of their final cost many times it is more, way more. Heck, I had a $200K budget on a project and due to Ian, rot and wanting to just do the entire property once we were in there (4 structures plus pool demo, landscaping etc.) it ended up at $1.2M on that phase, now we're doing baths, kitchen and a few odds and ends so they can sell and build a new house on another lot they own, fantastic client that I love working with.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

H & M Painting and Remodeling

Erick H at 803-467-4416. He and his brother Axel just did my master bath, and my front porch, as well as some work at my son's new house. They are good, reasonably priced, and trustworthy. I did not mind leaving them in my house all day while I was at work. I highly recommend them.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.