Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Army worms ??

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    Found them in my clover this afternoon. I sprayed them and will check back tomorrow afternoon. Heath springs area of Lancaster County
    I talked to 2 different hay field owners around your house and both had fields with bad army worm populations last week. 1 cut the field and the other treated for the bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    I talked to 2 different hay field owners around your house and both had fields with bad army worm populations last week. 1 cut the field and the other treated for the bastards.
    A buddy told me he had to go to macbee to get hay so I panicked and called the guy I get hay from and reserved what I need. The clover is at the place on hoke rd.

Know nada about the army worm - but we are starting the process of putting food plots in around kershaw. Given the current issues, should one wait until a little later to plant, or does that not really help? They will get you regardless unless you treat them?

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    Know nada about the army worm - but we are starting the process of putting food plots in around kershaw. Given the current issues, should one wait until a little later to plant, or does that not really help? They will get you regardless unless you treat them?
    I was planning on overseeding the clover Friday afternoon then mowing it Saturday. I'm still 2 weeks out on fall plots. I have to plant now because against my better judgment my wife planned a beach trip the middle of September.

They hammered our pastures and hay fields. It was too wet at the time to get in there and spray. Got some fields treated last week to salvage what we can.

Been pretty bad around Pageland. Know several farmers that had hay fields wiped out. They just appeared in my yard/pasture over the weekend. Sprayed yesterday afternoon so hoping I jumped on them quick enough.

Sounds like they’re bad in Greenville. How do you know if you have them?
    Carolina Counsel

Worst I have ever seen them. Cyonara and Beseige seems to work well.

I sprayed my yard with Bifen from TSC at 1oz per gallon. Killed them all and bunch of grubs I had no clue were there.

Would you think we through worst of them, have held off on my plots at spot I hunt solo

Leased land we probably gonna plant this coming weekend ?

Checked five of my tracts yesterday that I planted 2.5 weeks ago in greens/red clover and Austrian peas... they were fantastic and were from 2" to 5" tall even with the lack of rain. Going to top dress them with 150lbs of wheat per ac before the rain and repeat in a month...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

They are thick again now. Should be last hatch but next full moon might have some if weather stays warm.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I just turned over my aeschynome foot plot...evil little devils turned it into dirt. I ran rototiller over it three times with joy in my heart thinking how many I was crushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

they eat the vetch? bass turds
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I just turned over my aeschynome foot plot...evil little devils turned it into dirt. I ran rototiller over it three times with joy in my heart thinking how many I was crushing.
    That stuff is too high to be feeding to worms and it looks like they got into my clover again. I've been putting in plots for 30 years and never had them.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    they eat the vetch? bass turds
    de stoy-ed it. From a saturday to Thursday. Entire 2 acre food plot turned to dust
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

cool.. I just overseeded the shit out of my backyard with rye.. it's popping now. I haven't done it in years, but I'm making everything happy from the backdoor back with a few things so it'll still feel like spring to me in February. They didn't touch any of my zoysia, but the one area I have in bermuda was wiped out between walking out to work and coming home that afternoon. I watered in bug killing granules with liquid killer.. I doubt I'll take a chance without spraying something again.
    Last edited by Highstrung; Today at 07:38 AM.

I did notice a couple of wasps diving yesterday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Sounds like they’re bad in Greenville. How do you know if you have them?
    There will be no green left. What little graas debris is there will be brown and dead as shit looking like it needs water. Most of it will be eaten to the dirt. They work fast, like really fast in a few days.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Walk through the grass early in the morning while you have dew and they will stick to your shoes. Not hard to see them then.
    For the ducks