Thread: RIP Joe Pinner

Default RIP Joe Pinner

I was on his TV show as a little kid and he was always there for our youth athletics. Great South Carolinian...

WIS celebrates the life of legend ‘Papa’ Joe Pinner, after passing away at 89

On Sunday, the Pinner family announced the death of WIS legend Joe Pinner at the age of 89
    By WIS News 10 Staff
    Published: Sep. 22, 2024 at 6:19 PM EDT|Updated: 2 hours ago

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - The Pinner family announced the death of legendary WIS personality Joe Pinner Sunday afternoon at the age of 89.

In a statement released by the family:

"It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our Father Joe Pinner, 89 years old. He passed peacefully this weekend with his sons Michael and Gregg by his side.

He leaves behind his two sons, his two beloved daughters-in-law Diane (Michael) and Paula (Gregg), his cherished grandchildren Allen (Carmen), Christopher (Addie), Danica (Nick) and Lauren."

The longtime anchor was an essential personality who joined WIS just 10 years after the station’s first air date. Pinner was known for many things, including the award-winning children’s program “Mr. Knozit.”

Pinner began his career in broadcasting at radio stations in New Bern and Morehead City, North Carolina when he was fifteen. After graduating high school, Pinner attended the University of North Carolina and worked at Chapel Hill radio station WCHL. He then returned home to New Bern to continue his broadcasting career.

In 1955, Pinner joined WMBR-TV/Radio (now WJXT-TV) in Jacksonville, Florida. He entered the Army for two years. During his service, he was stationed at Fort Jackson in Columbia, South Carolina, where he managed the Armed Forces Radio station WFJX. After leaving the Army, Pinner returned to Jacksonville until joining WIS in 1963.

After joining the station, Pinner served as an anchor, weatherman, and co-host to WIS News Midday. He retired from the station after 55 years in 2018.

Joe and his wife Peggy were active members of the community, being married for 65 years until Peggy’s passing in 2022. The two met in 1956 while Peggy was a singer in the Alamarettes group and appeared on WJXT in Jacksonville, FL. Joe worked at the station on-air at the time.

Pinner was involved in many activities around the state and nation. Pinner served as narrator and Master of Ceremonies for the youth concerts of the South Carolina Philharmonic Orchestra, and was on the Philharmonic’s Advisory Council. He served on the board of the weatherboards, the Voice of AGAPE, Statewide Integrated Services for Senior Citizens, South Carolina Safe Kids, and Blythewood Cultural Arts Association, and was an ambassador of Honor Flight SC.

Pinner was also a member of the Media Club, Some Legendary Old Broadcasters (SLOBS), Greater Columbia Community Relations Luncheon Club, Friday the 13th Club, and Trinity United Methodist Church choir in Blythewood.

A Man of Many Honors
    Joe Pinner won numerous awards during his career. In 1967, Pinner received the national George Foster Peabody Award for his work on The Knozit Show. The longtime TV personality has been given the Order of the Palmetto, South Carolina’s highest civilian honor, three separate times throughout his life; in 1982 (11 years after its inception), 1993, and 2001.

Pinner also received several awards during his illustrious career in local television. The longtime anchor received the Columbia Music Festival Association’s “Lyre Award” for promoting the arts, the 1986 Columbia College Medallion for outstanding service to the college and the community; the 1988 Columbia Advertising Club Person Of The Year; and was initiated into Omicron Kappa Delta at Columbia College as an honorary member in 1990. In 1982, he was appointed “Emperor” of Little Mountain. Pinner also received the Rotary Club’s Paul Harris Award and the Department of the Army Commanders Award for Public Service.

Joe Pinner began his career at WIS in 1963, just ten years after the station's first broadcast.
    Pinner’s contributions and impact have also been honored by several state organizations. In 1976, the Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce presented him with the South Carolina Tourism Award for his contribution to the growth and development of the tourism industry in South Carolina.

In June 1993, Pinner’s star was added to The Celebrity Walk of Fame in Myrtle Beach, and in July 1993 he was presented the Masters Award from the South Carolina Broadcasters Association, an award that honors individuals for distinguished careers as on-air broadcasters in South Carolina.

In 1995, Pinner was a finalist in the National “IRIS” Award Competition for children’s programming and voted “TV Personality for 1999” by readers of Columbia Metropolitan Magazine. In January 1997, he received the Humanitarian of the Year Award from the Palmetto Society of the United Way of the Midlands. In October 1998, Pinner was inducted into the “Diamond Circle” of the USC School of Journalism and Mass Communications, then in November 1998, he was inducted into the South Carolina Entertainment Hall of Fame.

In 2001, Pinner was made an honorary Colonel of Fort Jackson and Honorary Band Master of the 282nd Army “Victory” Band and in 2007, named an honorary drill sergeant.

In 2007, Pinner was presented the Beach Music Association International South Carolina Media Award for support and promotion of the state’s official music and dance and renowned beach music performing artists, and was given the Toastmasters International Region VIII 2007 Communications and Leadership Award. Pinner also received the 2007 Ambassador of the Year award from the South Carolina Philharmonic.

People across the nation are sharing their thoughts and memories of the legendary personality.

NBC anchor Craig Melvin pays his respects to Joe Pinner. Melvin worked for WIS from 2001–2008 as an anchor and reporter.

Longtime anchor Craig Melvin pays his respects to Joe Pinner after the family announced his passing Sunday afternoon.
    SC native and media personality Leeza Gibbons also paid respects to the Carolina icon. She is best known as a correspondent and co-host for Entertainment Tonight as well as her syndicated daytime talk show, Leeza.

Media personality and SC native Leeza Gibbons reflects on the life of Joe Pinner
    Governor Henry McMaster honored Pinner in a statement:

“Columbia has lost an icon with the passing of Joe Pinner. He was a beloved member of our community, and his contributions as a broadcaster, mentor, and community leader will be remembered by all who were fortunate enough to know him, especially those of us who grew up with ‘Mr. Knozit.’ Peggy and I will miss him greatly.”

Gov. McMaster
    Carl Blackstone of the Columbia Chamber sent a statement in memory of Joe Pinner:

“Joe Pinner was the voice of a generation and the one that families looked to as their trusted news and weather source for decades. “Mr. Knozit” truly knew what made our region special - the people, and tirelessly championed for local organizations, the local military community, and perhaps most of all, children. He left an indelible mark in the Midlands region and will be sorely missed. “

Carl Blackstone, Columbia Chamber
    Pinner is survived by his two sons Michael and Gregg, his two beloved daughters-in-law Diane and Paula, and his grandchildren Allen, Christopher, Danica, and Lauren.”

A memorial service will take place in early November, according to the family.

The family says in place of flowers, memorials can be made to the Joe and Peggy Pinner Charitable Fund.

RIP Mr Knozit.

We didn't get Columbia channels in Gaffney so when visiting my Grandparents and cousins in Cola I remember being entertained by him.

Back before we had cable in our area I watched wis and remember the knozit show

He loved to say there is a chance of snow.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

RIP, his studio was across the street from Trinity correct? If so I remember it vividly.

Crank it up!
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Bless his heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Bless his heart!
    Knowing that phrase is a Southern cut to the bone, want to give us a story?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    He loved to say there is a chance of snow.
    It really would be something if we finally got a white Christmas this year.

I momentarily ruined one of his broadcasts from the fairgrounds back in 1994. He wasn’t happy about it. I believe that was the first and last time I drank Goldschlager in any material quantity.They didn’t have Fireball back then.

I liked him

I was on his show one time as well as a kid in the late 70's.

As kids growing up from where I live in SC between Augusta and Columbia, we were always on either "Trooper Terry" or "Mr Knoxit" ... Memories kids nowadays can't fathom ... RIP to both

I was on his show as a kid. Seems that I remember he would also show up at the movie theater for the Saturday matinee to host/emcee the activities.
    A nice guy, may he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Knowing that phrase is a Southern cut to the bone, want to give us a story?
    That phrase is indeed used as a southern cut to the bone. It is also used to show compassion and love as well. I have used it as both and have heard it used as both.

I meant no harm. In this case, I used it to show compassion and love.

I remember watching his shows when I was a child and I also remember watching his weather reports. His voice on the TV was a regular part of my childhood.