Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good ole days??

Not much since I moved to down Summerville. WMA deer hunting up there sort of sucks now compared to years ago.
    But I still take a drive thru there pretty regularly. Some of the prettiest woods I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    I was blessed to have been able to hunt the SNF in the early 80's. Deer were plentiful, I worked a job that allowed me to have 3-day weekends. I set up a permanent camp at Rocky Branch campground from October 1 to January 1 and was there every weekend.
    The check station at Salem Crossroads was always something to see, sometimes there would be 15-20 nice bucks on the ground waiting to be checked.

Attachment 91524

Attachment 91525

Attachment 91526

It truly was the good old days....
    With that stache, I’m surprised you had time for any hunting on the weekends.
    Carolina Counsel

Scatter Shot, I probably ran into you more than once at Salem Crossroads. I still hunt up there but on private land.

Maybe so. Other than the bad ass stache, you may recognize the bad ass Dodge I drove for the last 20 years.

42286.jpg

Deer camp is the best part about deer hunting..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    Deer camp is the best part about deer hunting..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preach

My grandad owned the gas station at salems crossroads back in the day, used to have a bunch of old pictures from the check station in its hay day. Unfortunately they were all lost to a house fire years back. Those stories and photos are what got me in the deer woods when I was a kid.

Scatter shot is one handsome devil. (No homo)

Thanks (I think) but no need to kiss my ass, I don't have a dove field.

I only kiss ass for mallard ducks

Hunting Waterhorn opening weekend was always fun. Camps set up through out.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    I'm glad we never had check stations.........I like to keep my hunting private..........No bragging rights......No UU's & Ahh's from others.........I don't need or require a pat on the back for killing a deer.
    That’s not what it was about. Your comment proves you don’t know that. You can run along now while we reminisce before someone turns you over their knee.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

The original belly buster...

e53fa59c623eb42be331e4af88791faf.jpg

It’s hard for me to imagine someone could think of build and market the Baker without making a smaller copy as a seat or at least an even smaller version to rest your arms on while you picked up your feet. Great idea but a fucked up application. How could they think yeah we’ll just hug the tree. Going down won’t be a problem at all!!???
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Climbed a phone pole with one of those. Got about 20 feet up before it cut loose and back to the ground. No shirt left and spent the rest of the afternoon picking creosote splinter out of my belly and chest. Never used it again.

The pics of that Baker stand brings back some old memories (nightmares). I was 22 years old when an old man gave me his. After hunting out of it a few times I figured out that nice old man was actually a sadistic old bastard that was trying to get my ass killed.
    I ended up cutting 2 pieces of 1/2" EMT about 24" long and put a 6" bend in it that I attached to the upper arms of the climber and attached the other end to the base of the climber. I then cut a strip of plywood about 3" wide to lay across it so I could have something to sit on. It was a great improvement but that stand was still a damn deathtrap. Never used a safety belt.
    After hunting out of it the first year my hunting buddy and I bought some aluminum stock, and using the Baker as a pattern we built a couple of 2 piece climbers. They were heavy as hell weighing in at about 27 lbs. but we killed a ton of deer with those climbers. I used that thing for about 20 years before I bought a API Grandslam.
    40 years later, I still have that old climber.

I climbed up one of those, it is still the only time I've used a climber.. hunting a large corn field, nothing around it, but it did have a powerline running through it. It was not a graceful slide. I have done tons of dumb shit, but I'll only do it once.

I've taken the baker ride a few times.

Here's the real question; anyone ever kill a deer out of one?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've taken the baker ride a few times.

Here's the real question; anyone ever kill a deer out of one?
    Plenty of em.

I also have a friend who killed a nice 9 point from one - after a 180 grain Corelokt from his Remington 742 30-06 put a hole in his boot and neatly removed his big toe. Shoulda heard that morning silence breaker... the boom of the rifle followed by some rather loud screaming. By the time we got to him, he had already got to the ground. He had those shitty over/under see through scope mounts that folks liked back in the day. He used the scope on a 20 yard shot and his foot ( hanging off the platform of course) was in the line of fire ( but not the line of sight).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Great day in the morning! That sounds awful.

I had those over/under see through mounts on my old 7600 '06 too! The 80's were AWESOME!