Thread: Can someone explain what big issue is with Fracking for oil ?

Default Can someone explain what big issue is with Fracking for oil ?

This has been mentioned during POTUS elections and not real sure what big deal is

Guy in Illinois where we hunt basically told me it allows you to go sideways instead of straight up and down like conventional oil wells do , other than what this guy has explained to us about how oil wells work I know nothing about them

He did say when oil gets to $50 barrel or so fracking is not as cost efficient as traditional wells

My guess is some kind of “environmental issue” if Dems are against it

The oil is suspended in shale formations instead of a pool. Like the mortar in a brick wall. They pump fluids into the shale that forces the oil out of the rock and to the surface. The fluids are claimed to be toxic (leaches into aquifers) and the ground is said to become unstable once the oil and fluids are pumped out.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The oil is suspended in shale formations instead of a pool. Like the mortar in a brick wall. They pump fluids into the shale that forces the oil out of the rock and to the surface. The fluids are claimed to be toxic (leaches into aquifers) and the ground is said to become unstable once the oil and fluids are pumped out.
    Ok. Well think I understand, so in theory it could cause “sink holes “ I assume down the road ?

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Ok. Well think I understand, so in theory it could cause “sink holes “ I assume down the road ?
    And even seismic events...ie earthquakes. I'm not sure we fully understand the long term impacts. It is being mentioned in debates (particularly this last one) because of the jobs it provides in Pennsylvania and the money its bringing in in other places like Montana and South Dakota etc. so naturally it has become a partisan issue. It does create some pollution and comes with other concerns, as ANY oil extraction and drilling methods do.

Fun with science

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I've wondered if fracking could be used to reduce stress, lubricate and mitigate the build up of pressure on a subduction fault. Instead of letting the force build up and get released in a powerful earth quake, reduce it to many smaller, manageable tremblors.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

I has a small foot print and small hole to be drilled but the fracking goes on below the surface and you can get gas from beyond the original site through the fractures. Like wise off site pollution is also a factor.

Not sure about that fault thing, but the rest of that sounds like a good Friday night!!!