Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimping 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Catfish does indeed suck.
    No, no, and no. Small fillets draped in flour, salt, and pepper. I will take that any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Catfish does indeed suck.
    fry it up and hand it to me and i'll eat the shit out of it.
    is it the best tasting fish? i aint know. it tastes like fry and salt.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    No, no, and no. Small fillets draped in flour, salt, and pepper. I will take that any day.
    Whole fried, skin on. Pro tip.

You know there are probably still tilapia eaters on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    You know there are probably still tilapia eaters on here.
    Well, that’s gross.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I think the first time I said a cuss word directed towards my Dad was when we were running shrimp poles. I was in high school and we went out on a school night in hopes of loading the cooler. Got to "our" spot with at least half of the other Sportsmen in Beaufort County out on the water also. We set our poles and put our pre-made bait balls out. Fired up our Coleman lantern so we could see what was going on once the sun went down. My dad was running the 15hp Evinrude on his john boat and I was throwing a 7ft. net from the homemade plywood casting platform up front. We ran the poles the first time and caught some shrimp but not a bunch. Decided the bait balls needed to marinate a little longer. While we were waiting the wind changed directions and started to pickup. It was now blowing the same direction as the running tide. My dad decided to work the poles against the wind/tide so he could do a better job holding me on the spot. That meant I was casting into the wind. It was already all I could do to cast the 7ft. net....add the wind and I was setup for failure. The next thing I know is I about get pulled into the dark water by the motor.....my net had gotten hung on something as I was pulling it back in and my dad decided to circle around to see if I could free it from the other direction. Somehow in maneuvering around the prop snagged on the slack cast net rope. When it wrapped up in the motor it almost pulled me out of the boat. I turned around and started cussing at him in the lantern light. I also told him “the hell with all this work and getting eat up by gnats for a damn cooler of shrimp, while he just sits there doing a poor job driving the boat. From now on we are buying all our shrimp off the boats at the Gay's docks.” My Dad said he agreed, and we untangled the line from the prop, gathered all out stuff and headed back to the ramp. I’ve run shrimp poles a handful of times since then but will always remember that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I think the first time I said a cuss word directed towards my Dad was when we were running shrimp poles. I was in high school and we went out on a school night in hopes of loading the cooler. Got to "our" spot with at least half of the other Sportsmen in Beaufort County out on the water also. We set our poles and put our pre-made bait balls out. Fired up our Coleman lantern so we could see what was going on once the sun went down. My dad was running the 15hp Evinrude on his john boat and I was throwing a 7ft. net from the homemade plywood casting platform up front. We ran the poles the first time and caught some shrimp but not a bunch. Decided the bait balls needed to marinate a little longer. While we were waiting the wind changed directions and started to pickup. It was now blowing the same direction as the running tide. My dad decided to work the poles against the wind/tide so he could do a better job holding me on the spot. That meant I was casting into the wind. It was already all I could do to cast the 7ft. net....add the wind and I was setup for failure. The next thing I know is I about get pulled into the dark water by the motor.....my net had gotten hung on something as I was pulling it back in and my dad decided to circle around to see if I could free it from the other direction. Somehow in maneuvering around the prop snagged on the slack cast net rope. When it wrapped up in the motor it almost pulled me out of the boat. I turned around and started cussing at him in the lantern light. I also told him “the hell with all this work and getting eat up by gnats for a damn cooler of shrimp, while he just sits there doing a poor job driving the boat. From now on we are buying all our shrimp off the boats at the Gay's docks.” My Dad said he agreed, and we untangled the line from the prop, gathered all out stuff and headed back to the ramp. I’ve run shrimp poles a handful of times since then but will always remember that night.
    Was he on the martinis that night?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I think that adventure is what got him started on them. lol

I love throwing a cast net on some baited poles, driving the boat not so much
    Last edited by Frank1; 09-12-2024 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Yall can keep every bit of baited shrimp you net...worst tasting shrimp ever.

I say no thanks to fishy gritty shrimps. Why run poles when you can deep hole!?!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    never knew that. interesting bc that's not what the shrimp have been eating regularly. it's not the throwing a deep a hole net that's hard, it's the aiming it right w your electronics that is tricky imo.
    Was just off the edge of these but still filled my cooler in 6 throws on Monday. The hardest part is knowing the spots and being there when they are there...

shrimps.jpg

That’s a beautiful sight.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    why so? serious question if this was a serious response.
    I can throw the net no problem. Finding them is my issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time I was violently hungover trying to captain the boat running poles.

Was not fun or good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Was just off the edge of these but still filled my cooler in 6 throws on Monday. The hardest part is knowing the spots and being there when they are there...

shrimps.jpg

Cool shot

So, I saw pretty close to that in 80 feet of water 2 Saturdays ago. Not sure what the hell I was looking at. Any ideas?

That deep I would say bait. I thought these were probably fish but decided to throw anyway. Was a bunch of fish mixed in with them but mostly shrimp.

On my machine shrimp are usually yellow to light blue. Seems the tighter they are packed the darker the mark though. And a solid color, no arches which are indicative of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    I say no thanks to fishy gritty shrimps. Why run poles when you can deep hole!?!
    And the choir says "AMEN"

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    And the choir says "AMEN"
    god-pray.gif

Seen the dust pan, professional grade pro- tip there!!