Thread: Joro Spiders

Default Joro Spiders

Anybody else seeing these horrible things showing up in the area? I probably killed over 600 in the last two months and need to kill another 200 or so.

yep..not a ton of them in my yard, but a few have met their demise. They displace all the native spiders and weave a sloppy web. Are you finding them in the woods or around the house?
    At least I'm housebroken.

I'm killing every one I see every morning and afternoon while walking the dog around the property. The Joro spiders started showing up last year when I only saw and killed a dozen or so, but they've multiplied 100x this year.

Unfortunately, I have only seen one or two web-weavers this year and used to have a number of them around, including one (and her progeny) that made the same web below the garage corner light for about 20 years now. That web didn't show up this year.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-05-2024 at 10:56 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I'm killing every one I see every morning and afternoon while walking the dog around the property. Have only seen one or two web-weavers this year and used to have a number of them around, including one (and her progeny) that made the same web below the garage corner light for about 20 years now. That web didn't show up this year.
    you have had Joro spiders for 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    you have had Joro spiders for 20 years?
    Read the second sentence again, although I may not have made it clear enough. I have had the same web-weaver web for about 20 years. The Joro spiders just started showing up last year.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I don't have Joros, but I do have Banana spiders. I like them & let them hang around; I'll even relocate them if they're in my way. Their huge egg sacks are pretty cool, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Read the second sentence again, although I may not have made it clear enough. I have had the same web-weaver web for about 20 years. The Joro spiders just started showing up last year.
    ha! I am glad I misread that..

Y'all keep that stuff on your side of the river.

What he said!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I first saw them in Anderson County last year and I probably killed 200 plus in a 20-acre spot. Open field with lots of trees and wind rows. I use spider spray on them and get about 100 to a can, both small, medium and large ones. These things breed like mad. I have not seen a script spider since these things have shown up. I now walk all the roads with two cans of spray. They seem to like to live in groups of 5 plus along the roadside that have wind funnels to catch the flying bugs. Nothing seems to eat or kill them. I wonder what other counties are seeing them?

This thread reminded me that need to mount an upright broomstick to the front of my 4-wheeler.

Are you seeing joro's or golden silk orb weavers? Both are invasive, but I've seen the latter around for years.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

These are Joro's with the Yellow body with silver/blue stripes and long black legs with yellow joints

Quote Originally Posted by Lab View Post
    These are Joro's with the Yellow body with silver/blue stripes and long black legs with yellow joints
    Yep... I haven't seen any here yet.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen