Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck Lottery Hunts

Default Duck Lottery Hunts

I have been putting in for points the last 3 years and I might finally cash them in this year. I am very new to duck hunting and have only gone a handful of times with a friend. I have little to no duck equipment except waders and a gun. Do you need a dog or boat for these hunts? Are there any locations that you recommend for a beginner? I will also be going solo on this hunt if drawn.

You don't need a dog or a boat. Highly recommend a decoy sled and setting your expectations low. And hunt the entire time you are allotted.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

You will need a dog, boat, new shotgun, expensive waders, $50/box shells, the mosquitoes and sand gnats are horrible and the gators are thick too. Probably not even worth applying. I would try another option.

$20 for a "chance" at being drawn to hunt... lol
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

PM Rubberhead. You're welcome.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    $20 for a "chance" at being drawn to hunt... lol
    wish more people felt this way
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    wish more people felt this way
    Yeah no kidding. 2 years used to be the magic number, pretty much every 4 years these days.

Alias....

Piss poor management has run all those Cat 1's in the ground anyway. I honestly don't know why people even bother applying anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekBoy View Post
    Yeah no kidding. 2 years used to be the magic number, pretty much every 4 years these days.
    4 years if you put in for the ringneck and wood duck shoots...It will be 5 or 6 years for the historically decent locations, and by the time you get drawn for them, they will likely have fallen off, too.

I don't put in anymore. You're welcome for the better odds.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    4 years if you put in for the ringneck and wood duck shoots...It will be 5 or 6 years for the historically decent locations, and by the time you get drawn for them, they will likely have fallen off, too.
    Ive been to Santee Coastal pretty much every 4 years since i started applying. I don't put in for anything else. I've got no use to go shoot ringnecks and dock mallards at sandy beach or Bonneau ferry.

you people suck. big huge time

what's wrong with draw hunts? they cost money and you have to wait to get drawn? they suck? they are mismanaged?

I have had some special hunts on SC draws and its worth $50.

To the OP. There are some draws that you likely need more experience. I would put it for multiple options and, once drawn, talk to the biologist for that specific location. They will help you out. Certainly mention you are a newbie and maybe they can send someone with you to help with set up and bird ID, etc? I dont know but I sure as hell wouldn't listen to the negative nancys around here....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 09-10-2024 at 08:59 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The last hunt I went on, I fired 4 shells and killed 2 ducks. And 1 shell was a cripple. It was stellar I tell ya.

well you went on a bad one.

the numbers dont lie. some (to me) excellent opportunities out there.

and, I have to ask, why did you miss one?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you people suck. big huge time

what's wrong with draw hunts? they cost money and you have to wait to get drawn? they suck? they are mismanaged?

I have had some special hunts on SC draws and its worth $50.

To the OP. There are some draws that you likely need more experience. I would put it for multiple options and, once drawn, talk to the biologist for that specific location. They will help you out. Certainly mention you are a newbie and maybe they can send someone with you to help with set up and bird ID, etc? I dont know but I sure as hell wouldn't listen to the negative nancys around here....
    https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...-Hunt-The-Cape
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I'll say this much. The draw hunts used to be much better. I'd say some were absolutely memorable. But in the last 10 years they have seem to be on a steady decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I'll say this much. The draw hunts used to be much better. I'd say some were absolutely memorable. But in the last 10 years they have seem to be on a steady decline.
    I think if you talk to many big impoundment owners on the coast they will tell you the same thing.
    It is nice and fun to have a boogeyman to blame but I don't think it is rational or fair to place the entire blame on DNR.
    DILLIGAF

My last couple were fun.. killed good ducks, quickly, only saw one spoonbill die. I did not shoot him.