Thread: Pythiosis - danger from pond water, swamps, etc.

Default Pythiosis - danger from pond water, swamps, etc.

My shorthair developed strange lumps under his skin where some wounds were healing. The lumps didn't seem to be attached to the underlying mucles. My vet surgically removed them. The were liver colored blobs about the size of a poker chip and maybe 1/4" thick. He sent them to a lab that had to formulate some special dies to determine it was caused by a mold-like organism called Pythium insidiosum that is found in ponds, bogs, swamps, etc. When ingested or open wounds are exposed, it can cause a condition called Pythiosis. It can affect mammals and has been reported in horses, dogs and even humans. The disease is more common in tropical and subtropical areas of SE Asia (rice fields, etc.) but has been found in several states on the southern US. It more commonly manifests as a gastro-intestinal attack and is very often fatal. My dog has undergone several surgeries to remove the lumps and has had hyperbaric oxygen therapy. He is currently on a bunch of drugs that include anti-fungals, antibiotics, pills to counteract the effects of the other pills on his liver and kidneys, etc.

One scientific study I read online about some field tests done in Virginia determined the spores were more prevalent in affected areas in June, July and August.

I'm just posting so dog owners can be aware of it. I have a very good vet and I doubt some vets would have suspected this in time to treat it. I was very lucky that it was only subcutaneous in my dog and not GI tract.

I am still concerned that my dog will develop more symptoms and he may not survive this. If he does, I am left with the uncertainty of whether to allow him in my ponds ever again, only in the winter, etc. I am also more concerned about letting anything, including myself, in the ponds, especially during the hot summer months. Swimming in the pond and chasing fish is probably my dog's favorite thing to do. Now I have to keep him away from the water on our trips to the farm and I am reluctant to jump in to cool off on a hot summer day. I have fertilized this pond during the summers to combat weeds and I wonder how much that may have exacerbated the proliferation of the fungus.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...hiosis-in-dogs

That sucks. I hope your dog gets better and thanks for posting this.
    DILLIGAF

That's a tough draw. Good catch by your vet, too.

I've only seen it in horses when I practiced in Virginia but it is always on my suspect list with water dogs with lumps and bumps.

Thank you for sharing, our vet warned us of the same, best wishes to you and your pup.

Shew. That is a tough break. Hope your dog makes a full recovery soon.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Goodness, hopefully your dog experiences a full recovery

My hounds, especially the pup, love the pond. Usually, Hondo gets in it every afternoon as soon as I let them out. It would be quite a chore to keep them away from it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Looks gross on the Google image search. Hoping for a full recovery. That has got to be miserable for the dog and you.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Thank you for sharing the information. Hope your dog has a full recovery.