Thread: Running Camper on regular Wall Outlet?

Default Running Camper on regular Wall Outlet?

Coming here because I have gotten several different answers from different sources and I'm tired of trying to figure this out. As I type this I realize I have now come to SCDucks for the answer, we will see how this plays out I reckon...

Long story short. We are trying to sell our camper. Someone is coming to look at it this weekend. When we built our house, the 50 amp service was on a temporary pole and we no longer have it, as we had/have no plans to keep the camper. I want to show the potential buyers that everything works as it should (both AC units, hot water heater, gas furnace, fridges, etc.).

I google this and get google answers. I called Bob Ledford in Greer where we bought it and they say I cannot do that. That the power coming from house, even with the converter isn't enough, and I risk damaging the compressors on the AC units. I have talked to two family members who have both had campers and they swear up and down that I am fine to plug it into the wall with a converter, just need to run one thing at a time.

Honestly, electric related stuff probably confuses me more than anything out there. Volts, Amps, DC, AC, it all confuses me.

So what says the brain trust - is it safe for me to get a converter and plug into the wall for an hour to show that the components work?
    Formerly DM88

Suicide plug from the dryer outlet. But you probably can’t make one fast or cheap enough. Do you a generator or can you barrow a generator that would suffice for a show and tell?

If you run one ac unit at a time you will be fine to show them
    Plug it in and test it before they come
    All the 50 amp plug in a camper is so the two ac units have a separate hot leg

Did for years till i install two 30 amp services for campers at the house. Ran it on a 20 amp circuit all was well with 1 ac unless you turn on a major load like the water heater or microwave. Lights, TV, and radio all worked fine. All that will happen is the circuit breaker at the source will trip if you pull to much amperage. If you use an extension cord keep it as short as possible. Use a 12 gauge extension cord.
    Last edited by centurian; 08-22-2024 at 03:37 PM.

Meet them at a campground
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I use a really heavy extension cord from the wall to the 50/20 adapter to the 50 amp cord. You can only run one ac at the time and don’t turn on the microwave. I’ve done this for 2 summers with no issues.
    For the ducks

We are not coming now