Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whale speed

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My neighbors found an 8 foot sperm whale stranded on the beach at Sullivan's Island last week. No prop or bite marks. I didn't realize there were sperms whale around here. Speeding boats and global warming probably forced it ashore.

The rescue folks came and got it but it did not survive long. I haven't heard the necropsy report yet.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
    Check the brain out. Wind mills drove it insane.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

‘Existential threat:’ Fry calls on White House to stall NOAA boat speed limit rule
    by: Adam Benson

Jul 10, 2024

HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WBTW) — U.S. Rep. Russell Fry (R-S.C.) is urging the White House to delay implementation of a controversial policy change capping offshore speed limits for large vessels that share waters with the endangered North Atlantic Right whale.

Fry and the rest of South Carolina’s Republican congressional delegation penned a letter Wednesday to federal budget officials saying the rule — which would prevent boats between 35 and 65 feet long from traveling more than 10 knots until outside of seasonal management areas — is an “existential threat” to maritime commerce.

“South Carolinians are committed to protecting our natural resources and the environment. Our boating and fishing communities are at the forefront of environmental conservation efforts. However, the proposed vessel speed rule poses an existential threat to these industries,” the letter says.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in 2008 implemented a speed limit requiring vessels longer than 65 feet to maintain a speed of 10 knots until a certain point offshore.

Since then, five of the 12 documented right whale deadly vessel strikes came from boats less than 65 feet long. As of 2022, fewer than 350 of the whales remained.

NOAA said in 2022 that it planned to extend the 10-knot rule to boats between 35 and 65 feet long. It’s to take effect Nov. 1 without White House intervention.

“Despite the many challenges we face, including climate change, we must find solutions to mitigate the threats to marine mammals while supporting the livelihoods and economies of our fishing communities who put healthy food on our tables,” assistant NOAA administrator Janet Coit said at the time.

News13 spoke to Murrells Inlet charter boat captain Shane Bashor this week, who said the 10-knot limit would add hours to trips out to the Gulf Stream.

He thinks it will be tough to have to tell customers that they have to go slower in the designated area to abide by the 10-knot speed limit.

“We’ll probably work out a lot better if they tried to actually get, you know, true information from the people that are out there every day and try to come up with the solution,” Bashor said.

Bashor pilots Carolina Girl, a 38-foot boat. He said in 25 years of professional fishing, he’s only seen two right whales.

“I mean, certainly the last thing any of us fishermen or anybody want to do is run into a 40-foot or 20-foot, or however big they are,” Bashor said. “They’re pretty dang big, and they’re not going to be good on the boat. Like we really don’t want to.”

The South Carolina Fishing and Boating Alliance estimates losses of up to $77 million in member dealers through NOAA’s revision.

Fry’s letter also points to the less than one in 1 million chance of a 35 to 65-foot recreational vessel striking a right whale during offshore trips.

“Implementation of this proposed rule would not only harm the boating and fishing industries but also have significant downstream economic effects on tourism, hospitality, consumer goods, dining and tax revenue generation in South Carolina, the letter states.

Gov. Henry McMaster and Duane Parrish, who runs the state’s department of parks, recreation and tourism, have also asked the White House to delay the rule.

McMaster pointed to the threat it could have on Port of Charleston’s annual import and export sales, which approach $30 billion.

“Not only would it double their current travel time within the coastal waters, but it would also prevent two-way shipping capability,” McMaster said. “This rule could greatly impact South Carolina’s competitive trade advantage, and I fear it could lead industry to look elsewhere or relocate.”

More than two dozen conservation groups back NOAA’s stricter policy.

“North Atlantic right whales need strong action from the U.S. government to protect them from vessel strikes,” the organizations said in a 2022 letter to NOAA. “Incorporating these additional modifications … is vital to preventing additional deaths and protecting the species.”

https://www.counton2.com/news/south-...ed-limit-rule/

I you are looking for Biden to make a sensible decision or any decision for that matter that benefits Americans you will be waiting a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Speeding would be pretty easy to enforce with radar nowadays. If that didn't work, you'd soon be required to have a transponder on every boat.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
    Ships already have ais & good many sporty’s do as well. The ships do get fined for going over 10kts in the whale zone. The wind farms have killed more whales in the past few years than ships have. The installation of the farms is killing them. Also look up the heat from the cables & what it’s doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    Ships already have ais & good many sporty’s do as well. The ships do get fined for going over 10kts in the whale zone. The wind farms have killed more whales in the past few years than ships have. The installation of the farms is killing them. Also look up the heat from the cables & what it’s doing.
    I recall reading there has been 1 confirmed strike in the past decade but the acoustics from the wind farms is driving them insane. It’s all about control.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    I recall reading there has been 1 confirmed strike in the past decade but the acoustics from the wind farms is driving them insane. It’s all about control.
    cut\'em

So who is the speed police, NOAA, the Coast Guard? That would potentially turn the entire southern seaboard into a speed walking competition. Prepare for more imported inflation as well.
    "run and gun guide service"

You will be ticketed from satellite info and sent to you courtesy of US Mail.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    You will be ticketed from satellite info and sent to you courtesy of US Mail.
    If it is us mail no worries. You might get it anywhere from a week, month year?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

How large of an area are we talking about? I dont see it mentioned.

Think maybe Biden/Harris commies hate the boat businesses here that have stood up for President Trump? Nah just more coincidence...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Think maybe Biden/Harris commies hate the boat businesses here that have stood up for President Trump? Nah just more coincidence...

That's what 2th would say. Sometimes I wonder about him
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"