Thread: Water inside

Default Water inside

I have a 2016 gmc sierra. I'm getting some water during rain in drivers floor mat I'm guessing that's the antenna on top of cab but the one that's stumping me is some water by console on passenger side, the ac drains looks to be dripping fine. Any pointers would help
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

Dumb question incoming.....does it have a sun/moon roof? Sometime the draining channel gets clogged with debris and will start to leak a tiny bit inside.

Yeah it has a sunroof
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

It's a sunroof drain issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    It's a sunroof drain issue.
    Yeah, I agree as well.

My buddy had it happen on a Dodge truck. He watched a youtube video and ran some piano wire type thing through the drain hole/valley.

Your dad could've answered your question if you would've asked him.....

I had a windshield replaced on my F150. It leaked water after that because it wasnt sealed properly. That leaking has stopped at the front now occasionally i get water in the driver side rear door. I can hear it moving around in there when I open and close it.

Use string trimmer (weed eater) line to clean out the sunroof drains. Cut to the length you need and then melt the end until it forms a rounded end. It'll push through the drain line easier.
    Last edited by MKW; 08-05-2024 at 03:30 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    Your dad could've answered your question if you would've asked him.....
    You funny ain't you
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Use string trimmer (weed eater) line to clean out the sunroof drains. Cut to the length you need and then melt the end until it forms a rounded end. It'll push through the drain line easier.
    This right here- also there should be a drain in your rocker panel as well, make sure that isn't blocked while you're at it.

I battled this issue on my 4runner for a while. Boil a pot of water and pour it slowly down your sunroof drains a cupful at a time. After a few cups go through, run the weedeater string down. Run the string up and down while pouring and that works well too.

Might not be a problem in your case, but with my 4 runner the overflow was somewhere in the horizontal metal panel right above the running boards. Overflow water went there and drained onto the running boards, but those holes got clogged too. I took off the running boards to drill a couple bigger additional drain holes, reinstalled and haven’t had a problem since.

I use an Air Compressor with the Small Metal Tube Blower. Get it in the Drain Hole that is on both sides of the Sunroof, close to the front of the car. Look to find it first, then blast away. You'll see the pile of junk blow out on the ground right behind the front tires.