Thread: Sawtooth oaks

Default Sawtooth oaks

I planted 15 sawtooth oaks 10 years ago, in 2 different plots, trees are getting up in height pretty good. Probably 20-30 feet with anywhere from 4” to 6” trunk diameter. I have yet to see any acorns on any of them. What’s been y’alls experience with them, I went out today and looked and doesn’t appear any have acorns this year. Is that normal, thought they could be producing some in 5-7 years.

Mine took a few years. I bought some around 16’ to 18’ tall already. Planted them around 2014 and didn’t see many acorns until a year ago.

I bet yours will produce soon. We are just now seeing acorns and we are around the 10-11 year mark. Chinese Chestnuts are a whole other story. They produce a lot of mast and fast.
    Carolina Counsel

Sure they can produce acorns in the 5-7 year range, but you are usually talking about a handful of mast at most.

12-15 is when you’re usually really going to start seeing true mast production

At least in my limited experience with sawtooths
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Ditto... I planted a BUNCH of saplings 10 years ago and have yet to see an acorn. If I could do it over, I would plant swamp chestnuts instead. Sawtooths live about half the age of our native mast trees and don't put out near as much food.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Sasha and Abby- I’m with you. I wish I had known more about the life span when we planted. I expect to outlive ours.
    Carolina Counsel

I've seen single trees drop enough to scate under after 8 years

Not sure what is typical but my friend planted 4 in his yard about 8 years ago. On year #5 it was unbelievable how many acorns it had under it. But, he was fertilizing the shit out of it with his yard.

I’ve got a bunch that are about 10 years old. Last fall was the first time they made many acorns. I don’t fertilize them but would bet that helps

Buddy of mine planted around 10 probably about 5-6 years ago and I know last year they were loaded with acorns.

I've seen them under the trees like marbles. The hogs and deer let them rot.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I planted some Chinese Chestnuts 5-6 yrs ago. I checked them today and several are loaded. I planted a lot of sawtooth at the same time and didn’t see any acorns on them.