Thread: Preserving Old Wood

Default Preserving Old Wood

Years and years ago I found an old Georgetown Rice Trunk that was submerged under the PeeDee River, it was only exposed during a super low tide. I grabbed several pieces of wood off of it over the years. Top Boards, wooden pegs, and one top brace/cross member. All of these pieces are hand cut/hand shaped. I have since given away or used most of it with exception of one top board and the cross member. The wood is in my shed and I don’t want it to rot away. The cross member would make a beautiful floating shelf/coat hanger. So that brings me to my issue. What is the best way to preserve these pieces and make a useable piece out of the bigger piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Sinking it in epoxy has crossed my mind

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Varathane wood hardener

Sounds x rated

Put it in a more climate controlled environment first. Wood conditioner like what CH said. I’ve got some that was buried in pluff mud for 150yrs. Ran a piece of it through the planer and it is gorgeous. The grain is incredibly tight and the minerals and tannins turned the blond cypress into a silvery, brown and black. Saving it for a special project one day
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Put it in a more climate controlled environment first. Wood conditioner like what CH said. I’ve got some that was buried in pluff mud for 150yrs. Ran a piece of it through the planer and it is gorgeous. The grain is incredibly tight and the minerals and tannins turned the blond cypress into a silvery, brown and black. Saving it for a special project one day
    Good info! This big piece was definitely buried in a bit of mud! I’ve been tempted to put it on a planer and take it down a little bit to expose those grains.