Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero Turn Mower

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    I’ve had my 60” Bad Boy ZT elite for about 7 years and haven’t replaced a bearing or pulley yet. The only thing I have replaced on it is the motor for the electric deck lift which they do not even install on the newer ones. I’m looking hard to upgrade to something faster and maybe even wider. It takes me about 4-4.5 hours non stop to cut all my grass, that’s no weed eating or anything. I’d like to cut that in half if I could.
    No damn way I would do that. I hate cutting grass, plus that's what I had kids for.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    I’ve had my 60” Bad Boy ZT elite for about 7 years and haven’t replaced a bearing or pulley yet. The only thing I have replaced on it is the motor for the electric deck lift which they do not even install on the newer ones. I’m looking hard to upgrade to something faster and maybe even wider. It takes me about 4-4.5 hours non stop to cut all my grass, that’s no weed eating or anything. I’d like to cut that in half if I could.
    You can cut it in half by stop mowing half. Nobody needs that much grass unless you got a couple soccer teams that use your yard as practice fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I'd look at a used commercial mower before a new "light commercial mower" for the reasons mentioned above. 48" is a good size bc it will fit on all utility trailers, and through most 4' gates. I have a 48" exmark with a Kawasaki. I bought it in 2011 and it's still going strong. Has under 200 hours and I have cut my own yard and carious rentals through the years. I even use it at hunt clubs sometimes to cut around stands and other stuff that the bush hog cant get to.

That being said, it was 8k new, and probably 11-12k these days. Buy once cry once has always been my mentality on tools.
    I've been looking.

I prefer stander mowers for most jobs for many reasons. I recently sold my 36 inch stander because I moved to a bigger yard and wanted a bagging option. I went with a used Walker after asking many landscape guys. I will probably never own a different brand. The cut of a walker is incredible but also expensive.

I have a Kubota Z411 and it has been good, no complaints. It has the Kawasaki engine and the 48” deck. I bought it in 2019

Electric mowers are the future and the future is now ....

74181168332__6DA1CFDD-0DAC-497A-9826-F13FAA1A8DB5.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Someone needs to cut some toe nails instead of grass...
    No shit! Them toes are dang near medieval.

20240723_204555.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Electric mowers are the future and the future is now ....

74181168332__6DA1CFDD-0DAC-497A-9826-F13FAA1A8DB5.jpg
    Kamala Harris approves your message

I've got a Hustler with a Kawasaki engine...been a great unit.

How about Gravely? Found a 2023 for a decent price. I know the old models were decent back in the day.

I know some guys that love Gravely. They do landscaping "commercially" as in they own their own business and cut people's backyards everyday. They are a newer machine so it could be interesting to see how that pans out over 5-10 years.

I won't recommend a specific unit because I don't know the budget, however I can offer some things to consider from my experiences.
    Whatever you chose, find a dealer that is reasonably local that also offers exceptional service after the sale. Some dealers cannot work on brands that they do not sell so be mindful of that. Kawasaki makes a good engine that will last as long as you keep up with maintenance. If you are looking at used, inspect the deck closely. The deck will tell you a lot about the life that mower lived with the current previous owner.
    I like the cut of a Bobcat and their deck is great. Build quality is like a Sherman tank. I like the ride of the Ferris but I'm not a fan of the cut quality that is a result of the suspension system (but the ride is nice). Grasshopper is exceptional quality and will last a homeowner for generations (they come with a price). As mentioned, eXmark makes a good machine as well. Go with 48-52" anything more will be cumbersome and not offer as good of a cut if you have any slopes, mounds, swales, or ditches. If you have any degree of slope, I strongly recommend a machine with ROPS.
    As far as HP, get as much as the budget allows. More HP = more efficiency on a zero-turn.

I have a Toro AI-synched automated jobby..I just sit in the house and use the VR goggles and never leave the couch. Yes, it is battery powered.
    At least I'm housebroken.

We've got a 60" John Deere Z series with the floating seat. That seat makes all the difference in the world. I'd mainly recommend sticking to one of the major brands with a dedicated dealer nearby. Our JD dealership down the road stocks most of the usual parts for the Z series and can get anything special in a day or two. But so far we've only been through a couple casters, and general consumables like belts.

My philosophy is to get the biggest cut, fastest speed, most HD mower you can afford. That way you'll spend less time cutting grass and cussing breakdowns, and more time doing what you want to do.

Hustler Raptor X with Kawasaki 54 inch. Made in USA. It's been good to me. Year three.

Got an Exmark 42" back in 2011. Max size my small trailer would fit.
    Weekly cutting & Fall/Winter leaves picking up on 2-3 lawns (less than 1 acre each).
    Only items replaced: 2021 choke cable, 2023 deck blade bearing housings & idler pully (making noise, change out before failure), blades 2x so far.
    Installed an hour meter & change oil & filter 2x/ year, fuel filter 1x/ year & clean air filter every 2 uses, keep tires inflated, wash/blow off & grease things that rub.
    Suggest a welded deck if you have sandy areas (like under trees where grass is thin) & by all means, spring for the collection attachments.