Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chanterelles and crab apples

Default Chanterelles and crab apples

Pretty good afternoon foraging. Got chanterelles starting to pop up after the recent rains and a few crab apples to try my hand at jelly.IMG_20240723_161827656.jpg
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Hell yeah send me a jar of the crabapple jelly. It is hard to beat.

nice... going to look for shrooms tomorrow... how do you cook yours, flock???
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Pretty much anything I use mushrooms in. My favorite is a pizza bowl using stuff I grew,shot and picked for the ingredients. Deer burger,peppers and onions from the garden etc . Mushroom sandwiches are good also

Have you ever tried pickling mushrooms? Had them for the first time last evening and they were outstanding.

No sir but I'm going to try canning this batch this afternoon

three of us pick up almost 38 lbs this morning in 2.5hours. they are everywhere. Most were Golden Chants with a few Cinnabars strewn around.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Damn. My patch isn't near that big. One patch has slowly died out. Pretty sure it's because the grass is getting to thick. The other spot produces more but seem to run smaller.

I just kept a few pounds for me. They are selling them and getting $35 a pound ����. I’m not that mad at them.
    Will Rogers

Good for them. I might come out of retirement for that kind of money

Found a big chicken of the woods and the shaggy-stalked boletes are starting to come up.

The shaggy-stalked boletes are my absolute favorites. They've got a fresh lemony flavor. They should bloom through mid-September.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Here's some of the Chicken, the shaggy-stalked bolete and a candy apple bolete (Exsudoporus frostii). The candy apple bolete breaks the bolete rules - red pore surface and blue-staining but it's edible. Not particularly note-worthy be really beautiful.

Last edited by Rubberhead*; 07-26-2024 at 08:26 PM.

Rubberhead is 10th Legion of mushroom hunter. I don’t have the knowledge or confidence for that kind of identification or consumption Great job!!!
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 07-27-2024 at 04:52 AM.
    Will Rogers

I'm not even close to that level. I can recognize chanterelles and Lions mane with enough certainty to eat them. Everything else is just a mushroom. Pretty sure I would recognize a morel if I ever find one

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Rubberhead is 10th Legion of mushroom hunter. I don’t have the knowledge or confidence for that kind of identification or consumption Great job!!!
    You've read me wrong. The two earthly things I'm most afraid of are open water and wild mushrooms...I never want to not be scared of either.

I'm actually just learning the mushrooms over the past year or so. The only ones I'm confident enough to eat are the ones that are unique and easily distinguishable. Around the house with a book in my hand, I feel like a bolete expert. Once I set foot on a rain washed trail, I'm Hogan's goat.

Let us know how the canned mushrooms are. Seems like I read than canned chanterelles turn to rubber, but I may be disremembering. I sauté mine to dry them out, sauté in oil until 3/4 done, then bag and freeze. Close to as good as fresh when you open them up and add to the pan.

I saw a good patch going down the road at 60 mph at the horse farm near Geechie Boy Mill on Monday. Thought about stopping to pick them, but I decided to let them be since they were so close to the road

I do the same to freeze them and they are still good. I just wanted to try something different. I'm freezing the batch I found today the same way you do

Who here has tried corn smut? It always grossed me out just looking at it but dang if I couldn't grow it as a cash crop.