Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quail Guard

Default Quail Guard

Just approved by the FDA. Hopefully it helps the birds in West Texas rebound.

https://quailguard.com/

Within months, Kendall and his grad students at Tech zeroed in on a gruesome finding: wild quail in the Rolling Plains were teeming with parasitic worms. In many of the birds he and his team trapped in the wild and then analyzed, dozens, if not hundreds, of threadworms were feeding in an area of the intestine called the cecum. A similar worm had infested the quails’ eyes. In severe cases, Kendall could see dozens of white, string-like worms, growing up to half an inch long, wriggling both around and within the birds’ eyeballs. It turned out that quail ingest the worms’ larvae when they eat insects, particularly grasshoppers and crickets. Within fifteen minutes, the larvae crawl out of the quail’s crop (the muscular pouch where birds temporarily store food), up the esophagus and nasal passages, and through glands into the eyes, where they feast on protein-rich blood. The worms remain there, maturing and mating in the eyes, until the host quail becomes so weak it can’t escape from predators, or it falls victim to some other malady.

Some ranchers had reported seeing quail flying into trees and fences, which indicated that worms were blinding them. Hunters were also shooting wild quail that had empty eye sockets. Scientists had known about eyeworms in quail since the sixties, but for mysterious reasons, the parasites seemed to have reached epidemic levels. In 2014, Kendall began to publish his findings on eyeworms in peer-reviewed journals, and the media took notice. “Blood-Sucking Eyeworm Caused Drastic Quail Decline” was the headline at TexasMonthly.com.

Kendall then set out to find a treatment. This February, after five years of research, he announced that he had developed the first medicated feed specifically devised to kill parasitic worms in wild quail. Kendall’s researchers have been testing the medicine, which he calls QuailGuard, both in their lab at Texas Tech and in their “mobile lab,” a cargo trailer retrofitted with equipment they can haul to area ranches to nonlethally test quail for worms in the field. Federal patent records show that QuailGuard is a blend of grain and fenbendazole, a drug commonly used to kill worms in dogs, cats, fish, and livestock. “We know it works, and we know it’s safe,” said Cassie Henry, a PhD student participating in the studies.

Ronnie Kendall is from Florence. We went to school together. He knows his stuff.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-30-2024 at 06:45 PM.

SCDNR has plenty of money to implement this.
    Windows Down!

I hope they do something.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Another article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...6IPxxsFCimtBjA

The king himself is using it on his ranch.

Quailguard.JPG

Is this eye worm limited to south Texas?

Is it here in the southeast?

Interesting.

I wonder if they considered withdrawal times? In food animals most food animals have to have a 3-7 days withdrawal time before safe for human consumption.

If these quail are fed this feed then shot for the purpose of human consumption, have withdrawal times been established in quail?

This is from Plumb's formulary regarding withdrawals for chickens...

Fenbendazole Suspension: 200 mg/mL in 1-L bottles. Safe-Guard AquaSol; (OTC). For use in swine and in breeding and broiler chickens and replacement chickens intended to become breeding chickens. Administer in drinking water. Withdrawal period for swine is 2 days. Not for use in nursing piglets. No withdrawal period required for chickens when used according to label. NADA# 141-449

Hasn't this been know about for a while? The crickets and grasshopper part transferring the eye worms at least. A friend of mines father was telling me about this year's ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

It has taken a very long time to get FDA approved

Gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    Is this eye worm limited to south Texas?

Is it here in the southeast?
    That's what I'd like to know. There are many, many guesses why quail have practically disappeared in SC compared to the olden days. Fire-ants, avian predators, coyotes, I even had one old timer tell me that he suspected the deer were eating the eggs and chicks. Do they get eye worms here?

I don’t know. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s prevalent in poultry around here and gets to quail as well.

Either way, hopefully works to help Texas so they can continue ramping up habitat and translocation projects. They seem to be working well.

I heard a bobwhite in my dove field a couple weeks ago and it damn near brought a tear to my eye. I haven't heard a bird whistle at my place in a bunch of years. This time of year, it's doubtful it was a residual pen-raised bird.

I bumped into a hen with her brood earlier this week. It made my day and she was not at all comfortable with me being close by.

Just quail? ... Would it infect any other fowl that ate the larvae ?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That's what I'd like to know. There are many, many guesses why quail have practically disappeared in SC compared to the olden days. Fire-ants, avian predators, coyotes, I even had one old timer tell me that he suspected the deer were eating the eggs and chicks. Do they get eye worms here?
    From Dr Dale Rollins:

Yes; see below:

Geographic survey of Oxyspirura petrowi among wild northern bobwhites in the
    B Kubecka, A Bruno, D Rollins
    Tennessee Research and Creative Exchange, by Trace, 2017
    Eyeworms (Oxyspirura petrowi) are potentially associated with northern bobwhite (Colinus virginianus) declines. We examined hunterdonated bobwhites from the 2013–2015 hunting seasons in 9 states to document infection prevalence (% of bobwhites [of total n]) and intensity (mean no. of eyeworms 6 SE). Four states harbored infected bobwhites: Texas (59.1%[n ¼ 110], 15.6 6 2.1), Oklahoma (52.1%[n ¼ 121], 6.9 6 1.2), Virginia (14.8%[n ¼ 27], 2.5 6 1.0), and Alabama (1.6%[n ¼ 61], 2.0). Prevalence and intensity of eyeworms in the Texas Rolling Plains were greater (P, 0.001 and P ¼ 0.002, respectively) than in any other area sampled. Based on our survey, eyeworms are locally prevalent and abundant in bobwhites from the Rolling Plains ecoregion, but virtually nonexistent in many areas that we surveyed.

That's good news, I guess. It still leaves the mystery of the quail decline in the stomping grounds of Havilah Babcock.

It's like going to the doctor with chronic pain, getting a full work up and not finding anything.

Just because they didn't find any in SC doesn't mean they weren't here and helped the decline.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I had a field biologist tell me that in SC, we've removed/degraded so much topsoil over the last 75 years that pollinator fields are not present like they should be. This is why our habitat sucks for quail. His words..discuss.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Bunch grasses are gone from most of our habitat. Pine plantations provide no cover. We nuke every insect in crops. Fire ants are hell. Hawks are like jihadists. There are a ton of reasons. I think we need more diversity in our landscapes, more fire.
    cut\'em