Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Phil Lavretsky Podcast

Default Dr. Phil Lavretsky Podcast

A lot of his genetic research has been posted here, but this podcast is by far the most eye opening. He goes into some of his most recent findings and research that is soon to be published.

If we can get lawmakers and biologists behind this- we might finally stop the Tamie plague.

All the years and all the conversations about “why mallards stopped coming to SC” was answered in this podcast, at least for me.

This is a must listen if you care about waterfowl.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000660888482
    Last edited by MDman; 07-11-2024 at 09:54 PM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Just listened to it the other day. Very informative, and a real eye opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, among other wildlife groups, need to lobby Washington and the USFWS to put a stop to mallard release programs.

Good ol boy SC politicians are deeply entrenched in shooting released mallards, the Feds need to ban it.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Another sale of the long term good for instant gratification
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl, among other wildlife groups, need to lobby Washington and the USFWS to put a stop to mallard release programs.

Good ol boy SC politicians are deeply entrenched in shooting released mallards, the Feds need to ban it.
    Delta has no intention of stopping MRP across the country as clearly demonstrated by Frank Rowher in this letter to Wielicki.
    Go straight to the last two paragraphs.
    Sad.... 20240712_132412.jpg20240712_132420.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Frank must be jealous because it's not his science.

Wielicki wrote that prior to going to the Waterfowl Advisory Committee mtg to hear Dr. Levretsky with a couple cronies. He must have been looking for redemption for his sins.

A key advisory member posed the question about released mallards potentially being live decoys. Dr. Levretsky's answer was a resounding "yes" and it was a kick in the nuts to each and every tamie operation in attendance, no matter how they attempt to justify it. I'm glad I recorded it on my phone.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 07-12-2024 at 12:55 PM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

so, we get to pick and choose which scientist to believe?

if its in podcast form, does that make it more scientifically sound?

Does Delta make money off of SCWA and hence the comments?

I am just trying to follow along....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I believe part of
    It is we want a solution and this sounds like it may be the culprit. Is that he reason Arkansas sucks now? Not according to him. I believe it has more to do with we beat on this ducks 60 days a year and I def do not believe their duck counts.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

Yes of course, many believed Fauci.....

Any of this been looked into with quail and similar reduced reproduction/fitness? Would assume number of released quail exponentially outnumbers ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post

You forget all those good ol boys are also D/U and Delta donors. Don't look to fundraising groups to alienate their donors for the sake of a resource.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You forget all those good ol boys are also D/U and Delta donors. Don't look to fundraising groups to alienate their donors for the sake of a resource.
    yep.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I've seen the banners and flags they fly at SCWA, it's pathetic that DU, Delta, SCDNR don't take a stand against released mallards.

I was alienated from DU and Delta after I reached out to both organizations regarding their stance on mallard release and seeing the banners as an observer of a youth duck "hunt" at SCWA. A friend at DNR actually said "you're the last person I expected to see here."

Fast forward 15 years and Ducks Unlimited is one source of funding for Dr. Levretsky's research so regardless of what Delta and Dr. Frank Rowher think DU is actually doing the scientific genetic studies.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 07-16-2024 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Any of this been looked into with quail and similar reduced reproduction/fitness? Would assume number of released quail exponentially outnumbers ducks.
    Yes, released quail can and are breeding with wild birds. If a wild male breeds a released hen the hen will typically not incubate the nest and the eggs don’t survive, if they do survive the hen doesn’t have the maternal instinct. So the chicks don’t survive. If you are managing for wild birds, releasing birds on your property is causing far more harm than good. Quail are not a migratory species so release birds aren’t having an effect on an entire species just the birds in the general vicinity.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    I believe part of
    It is we want a solution and this sounds like it may be the culprit. Is that he reason Arkansas sucks now? Not according to him. I believe it has more to do with we beat on this ducks 60 days a year and I def do not believe their duck counts.
    Well the eastern flyway has the shortest season. The other flyways have longer seasons. So why do they (the other flyways) have more birds and longer season length?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Well the eastern flyway has the shortest season. The other flyways have longer seasons. So why do they (the other flyways) have more birds and longer season length?
    Could it be that the others have better nesting habitat to the north and northwest of them?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Better habitat in the Pacific Northwest? Higher nest success? Less hunter numbers and less pressure? No surface drive mud boats?

How does hunting the West coast compare to the East coast in terms of quality, quantity hunts? Many mud boats? More paddle in only areas? How many folks are "scouting" 7-14 days before season opener riding around in mud boats jumping ducks?

I believe the duck counts are so wrong partly bc lobbyist pay to keep the season long for their financial interests of those in the industry. We hunt them too late. No reason to be hunting paired ducks. Also just anecdotal…if we don’t have October water we don’t get Nov and Dec ducks. Pray for a tropical system. I have a hard time believing people that say ducks harvest by hunter’s does not matter.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

I know you aren’t into things that stretch your attention span, but the science behind this guy’s work is solid and takes a very different approach at attempting to understand what’s going on with ducks/mallards here and across the planet. I listened to him on the MeatEater podcast while making the 19 hour drive from SD to NC yesterday; it is eye opening.

There is a little bit of truth in most people’s observations and theories about what’s going on with mallard migration, but this guy’s genetic based research strongly points to the root reasons for the well observed decline in Atlantic and Mississippi flyway migration reduction and overall decline in mallard numbers.

It’s worth a listen, and you won’t view it as wasted time.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Yes, released quail can and are breeding with wild birds. If a wild male breeds a released hen the hen will typically not incubate the nest and the eggs don’t survive, if they do survive the hen doesn’t have the maternal instinct. So the chicks don’t survive. If you are managing for wild birds, releasing birds on your property is causing far more harm than good. Quail are not a migratory species so release birds aren’t having an effect on an entire species just the birds in the general vicinity.

I don’t know about all that. I see the opposite on our property. I follow science as well but it’s also hard for me to argue what I see with my own eyes.