Thread: Wet Transom

Default Wet Transom

I got a new to me 1993 18’ Parker with a 1992 Johnson earlier this year. I bought the boat from my father in law who has owned it for a few years. The boat sat in the water at his dock on John’s island the whole time he owned it. I’ve come to find out the boat has water in the transom from some old screw holes not being filled properly over the years. Transom still seems solid, no noticeable soft spots or flexing but it’s got a good bit of water in it. Ie drill a hole and water seeps out. Whats the best way to remedy this situation? I don’t have much in this boat and really don’t wanna do a full transom job if I can help it. Really just trying to limp it along till the engine dies at some point and then decide if it’s a scrap or repower and rebuild. Do I just plug the holes and roll on or try some sort of epoxy fill? Anybody dealt with anything similar before?
    More Ducks, Less People

Parkers have wood in the transom. I don't think you can ignore a rebuild.

Yeah I know that’s the correct answer but I’m really just trying to limp it along say maybe another 5 or so years. Boat has some stringers that are in bad shape and really needs a cap off rebuild at some point. Surface level it looks good. Deck is hard as a rock but looking inside some access hatches reveals some interior problems. That being said I really don’t wanna put any real money into it until it comes to the decision to repower and a real rebuild. That 1992 Johnson runs good but it’s not gonna last forever.
    More Ducks, Less People

The old Parkers were very well built.

Bad stringers and transom sound like the limp along days were before you had it.

Hard to spend time in a boat when you know it has structural issues.

Sounds to me like you need to keep keepin on. The motor will kick the bucket or the boat will and then you can make a decision
    cut\'em

Youtube is your friend

An old Parker is probably worth a rebuild. They were/are tanks.

If you want it to seal, just 5200 all the old screw holes. The wood will still be wet and continue to rot... Just grab the motor and shake hard before each trip. The transom will tell you when its time. You may get 1 month, or 5 years.

I would experiment with drying it out. Some strategically located small drain holes, heat lamps, fans and patience might evaporate the trapped water and let it out. I'd let it stay very warm for a couple weeks minimum. The holes could be resealed once you think it's dry. If it feels like it still has structural integrity, what do you have to lose? Leaving the water in it is a ticking time bomb.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Open the old screw holes up a touch and let the water that’s in there drip out,. When that’s fine silicone them up and let it ride until the motor blows. A few old screw holes low on the transom for a transducer are only going let in so much water and being that it was salt water and not fresh rots not nearly as bad.

Drain as much as you can. Inject holes with a penetrating epoxy. Use until it dies (hull/engine). Leaving it open to air for a long period will facilitate/accelerate the rot. I’d just inspect it often and before every use. If something is going to fail, it won’t be on the trailer or at the dock.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks for the advice. I’m gonna let it drip dry for a couple days, seal it up with some epoxy and roll on. I’ll just try to not beat it up too bad, and look it over good each time before putting it in the water. Worst case scenario i guess I’ll be swimming one day. I Drilled some test holes and the damage seems confined to the very bottom of the transom. Once you get up an inch or 2 it’s dry wood. Stuff on the bottom is goo, but it seems pretty isolated. Fingers crossed
    More Ducks, Less People

just remember worst case scenario includes everyone with you too... I had a transom for the most part let go almost 30 miles offshore and almost didn't make it back to the hill. If you plan on keeping it just pull the plug and get it fixed right. Beats swimming.

Look up Gluvite I think is what it's called depending on if you can inject anythink into the hole. If it dry's out to much dry rot will set up and then you are done
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Two brothers were running their boat in Dawhoo.......Transom let go and and an 18 hp Evenrude and transom fell off.. Motor and transom went into the drink. Then gas line broke and it went to the bottom. They both scampered to the bow to keep the boat from sinking. They made it to shore without swimming.

BTW. I always been told green antifreeze with stop rot......Never tried it......

Most things you pump into the holes as a band aid are going to make it a real pain when you go to fix it.

I forgot about the green antifreeze. It works
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"