Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Turkey Bill H4820

No, we did not get what we wanted. We wanted April 10th. Unfortunately they are still going to allow hunting during the absolute peak of breeding in 5 years unfortunately is probably not enough time to see noteworthy results in some areas.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    when do yall plant chufa?
    and is it one "f" or two?
    Mine is 6 in high now.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    No, we did not get what we wanted. We wanted April 10th. Unfortunately they are still going to allow hunting during the absolute peak of breeding in 5 years unfortunately is probably not enough time to see noteworthy results in some areas.
    Hence why I said “for the most part”. The 10th is never going to happen so be thankful for what you got. It could’ve just as easy been the 1st. 5 years is plenty if it’s the magic bullet you claim it is.

Sorry pj, you have me mistaken for someone else. I never claimed this is a Magic Bullet!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

How in the hell is it going to be anything bad for you PJ?

Can you not kill 2-3 turkeys in a month?

You should be happy, there will be more leaves to hide your round ass later into April..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How in the hell is it going to be anything bad for you PJ?

Can you not kill 2-3 turkeys in a month?

You should be happy, there will be more leaves to hide your round ass later into April..
    Because turkeys south of the state capital and all of the Deep South for that matter were meant to be killed in late March and early April. Not in May when it’s 85 degrees. Because I want Tripp to experience the same thing I’ve experienced one day. I want him to have his back to a big oak on a 40 degree March morning with 5-10 gobblers gobbling. With nothing between him and those gobblers but air and opportunity. No crutches like decoys or tents. Just him and the bird. He’s going to be taught to do it the right way. I don’t need a biologist who doesn’t have a huntable population of turkeys on his property telling me how I need to do it on the land I hunt and when I need to kill them. Or a Teva wearing tree hugger doing his studies for his theories either. Yes I will still kill mine. Nothing with these season dates will personally hurt me with that. But I also don’t like to sit and watch my God given right to hunt be regulated and stripped away little by little. That’s all I have to say.
    Last edited by PJ1012; 07-03-2024 at 10:44 PM.

Since you are a turkey god, I’m sure you know, if they don’t die in March, they still gobble in April..

So what are you currently doing for turkeys?

Planting 2 bags of chufa and talking about it on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Because turkeys south of the state capital and all of the Deep South for that matter were meant to be killed in late March and early April. Not in May when it’s 85 degrees. Because I want Tripp to experience the same thing I’ve experienced one day. I want him to have his back to a big oak on a 40 degree March morning with 5-10 gobblers gobbling. With nothing between him and those gobblers but air and opportunity. No crutches like decoys or tents. Just him and the bird. He’s going to be taught to do it the right way. I don’t need a biologist who doesn’t have a huntable population of turkeys on his property telling me how I need to do it on the land I hunt and when I need to kill them. Or a Teva wearing tree hugger doing his studies for his theories either. Yes I will still kill mine. Nothing with these season dates will personally hurt me with that. But I also don’t like to sit and watch my God given right to hunt be regulated and stripped away little by little. That’s all I have to say.
    I have said all along that wanting to hang on to traditional March start dates is purely selfish. You reiterated that with this post. I missed the part where you said anything about what is best for the Turkey population, but I wasn't expecting that in your post.

For what it's worth, my best hunt of the year was April 14th. The amount of gobbling was absolutely insane haven't had a morning like that in a very long time. Don't know how many birds were in our wheelhouse but it was double digits.

Since you are a turkey god, I’m sure you know, if they don’t die in March, they still gobble in April..

So what are you currently doing for turkeys?

Planting 2 bags of chufa and talking about it on the internet?
    Phillip, ask some of your buddies. That’s all I’m going to say. Weren’t you saying 5 years ago how stupid we were for chasing these birds? Now you’re a poet. Questioning me on taking care of turkeys isn’t a road you want to go down…..

Lot of estrogen in you this morning boy… Work outside and let the heat knock some of it down..

You’re about as unacquainted as a popcorn fart in a proverbial whirl wind..

What do you do for turkeys?

Burn?

Trap?

Refuge?

Lot of estrogen in you this morning boy… Work outside and let the heat knock some of it down..

Burn?

Trap?

Refuge?

I have said all along that wanting to hang on to traditional March start dates is purely selfish. You reiterated that with this post. I missed the part where you said anything about what is best for the Turkey population, but I wasn't expecting that in your post.
    So because I don’t buy into your guy’s theory, I’m selfish…. Got it. There’s some pretty influential guys across the southeast, guys you’ve praised on this site before as great guys, that feel the exact same way I do. Are they selfish too? I love the bird just as much as you do Scott. I just don’t believe this will fix it. Actually it’s been proven it won’t….

For what it's worth, my best hunt of the year was April 14th. The amount of gobbling was absolutely insane haven't had a morning like that in a very long time. Don't know how many birds were in our wheelhouse but it was double digits.
    I don’t need to be sold on late season hunting. I’ve watched 5 gobblers strut into the gun barrel on May 3rd once. I’ve also watched Carolina play in the SEC championship as well. That doesn’t mean it’s going to happen much or ever again. You and I both know hunt quality is much better March and early April.

Burn?

Trap?

Refuge?
    Burn, trap, extreme refuge (I’m blessed to be able to hunt close to 2k acres with everything combined by myself so I’m able to control a lot when it comes to saving turkeys and creating refuge) and a lot of planting. A lot of chufa, cereal grains, clover, and quail plots the turkeys use as well. Some of your group has hunted with me. Ask them how my population is.

I don’t have a group.. Nor friends..

You have a tractor and a drip torch?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    So if they don’t agree with the THEORY they aren’t reputable….. got it
    You are misreading what I said. Two things can be true at the same time. The biologist you believe is correct can be reputable at the same time the one I believe is correct can also be reputable. Or they could both be wrong.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I don’t have a group.. Nor friends..

You have a tractor and a drip torch?
    No I plant all that with a mule a plow….

Drip torch, one of my good friends is a forester. Most of my landowners prefer I use him for liability purposes. He does 95% of the burning I do.

What’s your point Phillip if the necessary things that need to be done to have turkeys are being done?

Like beauty shop up in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!