Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generator Help

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i think having an anal neighbor is easier than fixing a carb.
    I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this but just what do you do with an anal neighbor ��
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

borrow his stuff
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    If it is a small engine buy a new carb, install, and start it up. Much less hassle.
    This is your best and easiest option, and also order a carb rebuild kit for the other one while you’re at it. If you have ethanol fuel in it, and didn’t drain the fuel over the years when it’s in storage, there’s a good chance your carb parts are eroded. I’ve found that every few years I change the carbs and rebuild the one I pull off to have the spare on hand. It’s worked well for 25 years on this Honda generator.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Default Generator Help

While we’re in the generator issue topic, let me ask this. I have a predator 4550 mounted on my trailer that I work in daily. Runs like a top until mid day, early afternoon. Starts cutting off after 10 mins of the a/c running, and flashing a carbon monoxide light. I’ve heard of folks bypassing that contraption. Anyone ever done it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billbuster84; 07-01-2024 at 06:53 PM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Dude, you are going to have problems ifn you put regular gas in it with no stabilizer. Either run it empty of gas from now on, or put nonethanol gas in. Regardless, don't use regular gas and run it more often.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    While we’re in the generator issue topic, let me ask this. I have a predator 4550 mounted on my trailer that I work in daily. Runs like a top until mid day, early afternoon. Starts cutting off after 10 mins of the a/c running, and flashing a carbon monoxide light. I’ve heard of folks bypassing that contraption. Anyone ever done it?

I would never recommend bypassing something designed to save your life; however, I have a small fan that I use to add extra cooling and to direct exhaust away from mine when it is running. Small fans do not use much current and are relatively cheap so I would try that first. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I would never recommend bypassing something designed to save your life; however, I have a small fan that I use to add extra cooling and to direct exhaust away from mine when it is running. Small fans do not use much current and are relatively cheap so I would try that first. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Mine generally goes an entire year without being run and I keep the tank full. When the first hurricane threatens I drain the gas and fire it up. It always cranks after 3-5 pulls. I let it run for an hour or two then shut off the gas flow, let it burn the remaining gas and top off the tank with ethanol free.

When winter rolls around if we have ice or snow coming I’ll do the same again. I’ve never had an issue doing following that procedure.

Default Generator Help

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I understand what you’re saying. However, the generator is mounted on the tongue of the trailer in the wide open air. I wouldn’t think it would be an issue

Last edited by billbuster84; 07-02-2024 at 05:59 PM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

My first guess for it cutting off is because your amp draw is over the max capacity of the generator. That generator apparently has a 4550 watt max load, but a max 3650 watt running load, when it’s NEW. I found out recently that a generator looses about 1% (or more?) of its capacity every year, so how old is this one? At max running capacity of 30 amps, with a window AC drawing 13-20(?) amps at compressor start-up, you may well just be tripping out due to needing a larger generator. My generator is a 6500/5500 Honda, but it began tripping this year when the AC kicked in even though it’s been fine for 24 years running the whole house minus the microwave and toaster, etc. It just reaches its peak limit now.

Don’t know about the CO. Is that an inside reading or a warning light on the generator?
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    My first guess for it cutting off is because your amp draw is over the max capacity of the generator. That generator apparently has a 4550 watt max load, but a max 3650 watt running load, when it’s NEW. I found out recently that a generator looses about 1% (or more?) of its capacity every year, so how old is this one? At max running capacity of 30 amps, with a window AC drawing 13-20(?) amps at compressor start-up, you may well just be tripping out due to needing a larger generator. My generator is a 6500/5500 Honda, but it began tripping this year when the AC kicked in even though it’s been fine for 24 years running the whole house minus the microwave and toaster, etc. It just reaches its peak limit now.

Don’t know about the CO. Is that an inside reading or a warning light on the generator?
    It’s just over a year old. I have it mounted in the tongue of a fiber splicing trailer. It just charges my 12v system, and runs the rooftop a/c. It runs fine for 3-4 hours and then cuts off. Have to let it cool all the way down before it will act right again. Every time it’s done it, the CO light flashes on the panel

Did some research today. Evidently, the CO monitoring device has a short life span. Guys who run them every day are saying 6 months max. Quick YouTube video on how to jump the wires to bypass it. Gonna try that over the long weekend, and we shall see

You can easily check the amp draw when you know the AC is going to be coming on. That will tell you right off if it’s coming close to the max draw.
    ~ George Washington

The air stays on constantly if we are working in the trailer. If not a thermostat style. I’ll check that tomorrow. Gotta get it fixed. These hot days in a metal box ain’t cutting it