Thread: Voters kick all the "Republican" women out of the South Carolina Senate

Default Voters kick all the "Republican" women out of the South Carolina Senate

The article assumes they were removed over their positions on abortion. I have no information that would lead me to dispute that. If this is the reason, they weren't Republicans. They were disingenuous, power-hungry assholes using the R to get elected.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The only three Republican women in the South Carolina Senate took on their party and stopped a total abortion ban from passing in their state last year. In return, they lost their jobs.

Voters removed Sens. Sandy Senn, Penry Gustafson and Katrina Shealy from office during sparsely turned out primaries in June, and by doing so completely vacated the Republican wing of the five-member “Sister Senators," a female contingent that included two Democrats and was joined in their opposition to the abortion ban.

For Republicans, the departure of Senn, Gustafson and Shealy likely means there will be no women in the majority party of state Senate when the next session starts in 2025. It could also mean that women will not wield power for decades in the fiercely conservative state where they have long struggled to gain entry into the Legislature.

How scant has political influence historically been for women in South Carolina? Small portraits of every woman who has ever served in the 170-seat General Assembly in the 250 years it has met fit on a poster framed just outside the governor's office.

The sudden departure of the Republican women presents a potential power issue because the Senate doles out clout and responsibility to the majority party based on seniority. Half the members in the GOP dominated state were elected in 2012 or before, so it will likely be the 2040s before any Republican woman elected in the future can rise to leadership or a committee chairmanship.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...c4606b81&ei=16

Or maybe they are just women who know what its like to be pregnant.
    DILLIGAF

Margaret Sanger hated black folks. She started the American Birth Control League (Planned Parenthood now) in 1921 to promote her belief in eugenics. One year after the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified. Fun fact...

Penry was removed because she was fucking embarrassing, our district lines were redrawn after the two fuck ups we elected in that cycle.. She was barely a Republican by name.

One of those nice ladies I did not vote for but have in the past. Simply put she didn't campaign at all. I don't know if she thought she was an automatic or what but the guy that defeated her campaigned tirelessly and gave great analysis of what he thought was wrong and how he would try to fix it.

I apologize for my crass language.. That election will have repercussions for a while. It does look like we'll retain a senator this cycle though.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 07-01-2024 at 11:41 AM.

Yeah, but you are right anyway. Dumb broad with dumber name claims to be conservative. Much like Nimrata...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Or maybe they are just women who know what its like to be pregnant.
    Hogg, this seems to be a big issue to you, as you seem to always comment in an abortion thread. I'll start by saying that generalizations are what are getting this country in a lot of trouble.

My wife knows what its like to be pregnant and she thinks abortion is one of the most morally bankrupt and self-centered things a woman can do. Honestly, she has a more 'conservative' view of abortion than I do. But that's just her. I'm not going to put that out there saying that all women feel the same way as she does.

I'm doing some inferring here, but do you believe that being a man disqualifies them from having an opinion on abortion?
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Hogg, this seems to be a big issue to you, as you seem to always comment in an abortion thread. I'll start by saying that generalizations are what are getting this country in a lot of trouble.

My wife knows what its like to be pregnant and she thinks abortion is one of the most morally bankrupt and self-centered things a woman can do. Honestly, she has a more 'conservative' view of abortion than I do. But that's just her. I'm not going to put that out there saying that all women feel the same way as she does.

I'm doing some inferring here, but do you believe that being a man disqualifies them from having an opinion on abortion?
    No.
    DILLIGAF

just glad the only pregnant virgin in history did not choose the women’s rights angle

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

The Botoxed West Trashly one should have never been up there from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    do you believe that being a man disqualifies them from having an opinion on abortion?
    I was told just last night that it absolutely does. I, of course, tripled down...

the key being you can have an opinion but your voice and vote dont matter....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Well, no matter your opinion on abortion, there is one undeniable absolute. A human being dies after every single one. Absolute.

The Shealy loss was quite shocking at least to me.

We have fought about abortion every single one of my 18 years.

It is difficult to remove a 50 year old right without political repercussions.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.