Thread: Land Value Question - Wetlands/Beaver Swamp Value

Default Land Value Question - Wetlands/Beaver Swamp Value

Maybe a question that has way too many variables to answer, but for your forestry/land sales people, if you had to put a ball park percentage on the following - what would you say as a rule of thumb of sorts?

The value of a piece of cutover ground is X.

That same piece of ground - with all the same access characteristics, proximity to different things, etc being equal - but is wetlands/beaver swamp, is there a thought on what the value of the wetlands would be relative to the cutover land?

Is it 50% of X? 80%? 120%?

Anybody with knowledge on this sort of thing or ever experienced?

Farmland 4000 per acre
    Timberland 2000 plus timber per acre
    Cutover Timberland fairly well drained 2000
    Cutover poorly drained swampy land 1000

All depends on proximity to development. Then multiply x 4
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I think it’s going to be area specific to. I know cutover land that has sold for more than $2k in saluda. It’s all relative to what someone is willing to pay. To me there is way to many variables. I know of a swamp that would bring well over 1000 as a sportsman’s tract. At least for around here and from what I have seen being into the surveying industry doing closings, duck tapes numbers are all low for around here.

Very loaded question. How is access to said swamp? Any improvements, water control, timber, etc.? Proximity to cities? What is the rec value? Does it hold ducks? Was any of the wetland converted to pine at some point and hold mitigation value? There isn’t a hard number anymore. It really comes down to what people are willing to pay. There is some swamp/wetland ground I wouldn’t pay a nickel for, other ground I’d go 5k+
    For the ducks

Honestly the are way too many variables to answer that.....What percentage of the tract is low/wetland vs upland, highest/best use/intended use of the property, etc, is it truly swamp/wetland or just "creek bottom", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Farmland 4000 per acre
    Timberland 2000 plus timber per acre
    Cutover Timberland fairly well drained 2000
    Cutover poorly drained swampy land 1000

All depends on proximity to development. Then multiply x 4

So many variables to determine price, as several mentioned above.

But Duck Tape’s post is a good base ratio of values to start with, and work you’re way up or down depending on each specific tract.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

The beaver swamp has only recreational value. One thousand an acre is about right.

The cutover land should be around 1800-2500 per acre.

Location matters.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

If only people who posted on this thread didn’t submit BS LOIs to artificially inflate land values for buddies to help extort others
    Carolina Counsel

If only people who posted on this thread didn’t submit BS LOIs to artificially inflate land values for buddies to help extort others
    Carolina Counsel

Shots fired

Last edited by MDman; 06-27-2024 at 06:50 PM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

From what I’ve seen recreational land is selling at a significant premium to the old dirt value + timber value formula. If it even has decent potential as recreational land. If it is turnkey ready for the gentleman farmer, it will sell quick for an eye popping price

Its worth whatever you can negotiate out of the seller. I bought a farm a few years ago that was about 60% farm, 40% cutover/swamp. Paid fair market value for the farm acres, negotiated them down to about 70% value for the swamp and cutover. Final price determined by a 3rd party survey. Final price ended up about 10% lower than their posted asking price because real-estate agents cant read a map and over inflated the farm acres.