Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summertime Builds

Default Summertime Builds

Well since I have lost my ocean boat ride I've got some additional time to devote to racing and stuffs.

Been non-stop since my return home.

Got a motor put in the mini modified. Gunna do a shakedown on that in a couple weekends. My buddy is going to let me run it a few times as a thank you for wrenching on the Pro Lates.
    image000001.jpg
    image000002.jpg

Kids helped me push out the Ministock roller to the side yard and turn the Limited Late into the spot. (one kid was happy to help and one not so much)
    20240623_152925.jpg
    20240623_173410.jpg

Step 1 of the tear down process
    20240624_205025.jpg
    20240624_205103.jpg

Some small set-up changes to the Pro-lates and up to the track to the north for the 4ht of July show.
    Busy times.

I'd rather be fishing but I can make a few bucks turning wrenches.

My neighbor races mini stocks and has pretty much built most of them that race at Anderson. My oldest daughter loves walking over and watching the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Quote Originally Posted by Grebe View Post
    My neighbor races mini stocks and has pretty much built most of them that race at Anderson. My oldest daughter loves walking over and watching the process.
    My old neighbor had a little boy that would come over and talk my ear off.
    Some days he would be waiting out front for me to get home. His dad even knocked out some of roll cage welding that I wasn't 100% ready for at the time.
    The boy used to think I was a professional racer and didn't understand that I had a normal job. lol
    Those were the good days, a lot has changed. I miss those days.

Had some time this weekend to do some minor mockup of the "new" body I'm mounting. A little trimming around the cowling and wheel-wells to get the fit right. I need to do some trimming around for the front fender mockup, then last the nose piece.

Gone mid-week to wrench, then back at it.
    20240630_201924.jpg
    20240630_201904.jpg

Looking good! What would we do without clecos? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by wrackmaster View Post
    Looking good! What would we do without clecos? LOL!
    Right? Time savers!

Or it would be drill, rivet; drill, rivet again; drill.....

Slowly getting there. I need to measure and plumb out the roof to make sure I'm in the ideal spot but initial mock up is looking good.

Starting to make a first pass over the fuel system to clean that all out. Fuel cell just wont come out. lol Gunna have to pull the top and try to do all the work with it still in the car.

Someone once told me racin’ ain't always puppy dog’s and rainbow’s.

We are in a bad luck rut.
    Decided it was best to only take one car up to the rowdy (shithole) track to the North. (Since we are down a car still)

Unloaded for Tues night practice and we were top 5 speeds. Everything seemed good. Grabbed some sticker tires for race day.

Go P3 in first practice Wed, then driver overdrives Qual and we are 7th fast out of 21. Card draw a 5 for the start of the 90 lapper.
    Well lap 30 right rear rotor is flaming hot, dropping like a rock, bounced it off the backstretch fence. Pulled her into the pits. Must have a hung caliper or something. Gunna have to tear it apart and do a shakedown at a local show.

Firework show was pretty kickass. Lots of fans, which is different for our home track. WEED smoke EVERYWHERE…lol Felt like a snoop dog concert. Crazy.
    First time I’ve ever seen a prolate flip in person. Wild. Driver who flipped is a local legend and he and the crowd loved it. He played up to it was signing and handing out parts in the pits.

Lot’s of cheater talk and F-you’s in tech afterward (right behind our pit). Either way a fun couple, hot as hell days (both over 105).
    20240702_203930.jpg
    20240703_212331.jpg
    Screenshot_20240705-110426.jpg

Slow couple weeks of progress. It has been Hot as Shit, so working in the garage in the evening has been spotty.

I had started going through the fuel system. Fuel cell had a bit of old fuel, old disintegrating foam, cracked lines.
    Cleaned it all out. Sponged it clean with new fuel.......Then felt a small crack up top on the fuel cell.
    This is how it looked by the time I got it out.
    20240803_181924.jpg

New bladder, fuel lines, and fuel filter.

Got the front trimmed up and the nose loosely fitted. Almost done with the body mounting.
    20240707_123036.jpg
    20240804_125824.jpg

Are those Datsun 510's in the shop? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Are those Datsun 510's in the shop? MG
    '77 Toyota Corolla TE31's

Wow. Is that fuel cell bladder made of plastic? I don't remember ever seeing that kind before.

Wow. Is that fuel cell bladder made of plastic? I don't remember ever seeing that kind before.
    Yep, most of the cheaper ones used now are poly. I have never seen one this brittle before out of the few older ones I've deal with in the past.

Took the Pathfinder up North to the weed smokin track. We have been chasing brake issues so we needed a shakedown. Qualified top 5. Race time bounced around the top 5, everyone racing hard, snuck into 2nd for a quick second, then someone came across the nose and we turned them. Rode around after that. Made the whole race without brake issues, so that was a gain. Local show next week at our home track to tune up for the money race in 2 weeks.

The moment 'it turned'
    454716752_999852581933683_4482109966842950119_n.jpg

Still working on the fuel cell crap on the limited, new tank has different pickup locations so I needed to modify a top for the box. Got the new lines and filter in though, now I can button up the body on that side.

Back to our home track with the Pathfinder, new nose and fenders on it after last race up north, Also brought out the mini mod's for a shakedown race. Long story short, I was a one man band this weekend, motor struggles on one of the mini mod's, old tires on both. We ran 2nd with 1 car and had to pull of track in 4th with a hot motor with the other one.

The pro, we blew qualifying started 6th, first lap spinner in front of us and in the fence we go. Toasted lower, spindle, upper and probably the hub too. Par for our luck.

Mini stock showndown as well. 40 of them I believe. Pretty decent race, nice car count though.
    Screenshot_20240821-095143.jpg
    12.jpg

Back at it with Pathfinder #2 this weekend for the TV money race.
    Still trying to get the nose height/angle right on the limited. Close.
    Last edited by Short_track_champ; 08-21-2024 at 12:23 PM.

This is the least gay post in the history of scducks

What track is your home track?

What track is your home track?
    Madera Speedway is my home track. They play the T.V. race series that we run on MAVTV, with like a 2 week tape delay.

Cool. I am currently in Vista. That's gonna be a little far this time around. I will check it out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Short_track_champ View Post
    Back to our home track with the Pathfinder, new nose and fenders on it after last race up north, Also brought out the mini mod's for a shakedown race. Long story short, I was a one man band this weekend, motor struggles on one of the mini mod's, old tires on both. We ran 2nd with 1 car and had to pull of track in 4th with a hot motor with the other one.

The pro, we blew qualifying started 6th, first lap spinner in front of us and in the fence we go. Toasted lower, spindle, upper and probably the hub too. Par for our luck.

Mini stock showndown as well. 40 of them I believe. Pretty decent race, nice car count though.
    Screenshot_20240821-095143.jpg
    12.jpg

Back at it with Pathfinder #2 this weekend for the TV money race.
    Still trying to get the nose height/angle right on the limited. Close.
    That second photo is definitely a 'hot motor'
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Cool. I am currently in Vista. That's gonna be a little far this time around. I will check it out at some point.
    Yeah, vista area would put you closer to Orange show (1/4 mile flat bullring) or Irwindale (progressive banked 1/2 mile).

Madera would be a drive. The better races are 9/28 (ARCA West) or 10/19 (for $10,000 to win Pro-lates)