Thread: What Was Going on in Michigan in 1943?

Default What Was Going on in Michigan in 1943?

Well, maybe all of the good hunters were fighting in the war? I don't know, but damn sure was some bullets flying. Check out these horrible stats. In fairness, I have no idea what the stats for SC were for the same period, but I am glad deaths are as rare as they are now. MG

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.58.13 PM.png
    Dum Spiro Spero

My uncle had a farm in Milford, MI. He raised a buck that was released in the 50's or 60's. Had cool stories about that deer. I loved hunting his farm, deer, ducks, pheasants, quail, frog, pigeons, starlings.....we were killing machines in the 70's out there.

When were whitetail deer established in Michigan?
    According to the search results, whitetail deer were introduced to Michigan through a series of releases between 1934 and 1942. During this period, 296 deer were purchased from Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina and released throughout the state. Additionally, between 1953 and 1955, 111 deer were released throughout the state, with the last releases occurring in Sullivan and Ripley counties.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I was actually referring to the 162 hunters that were killed, although the game harvest numbers are remarkable as well. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

*or wounded

Don't mess with the Wendigo

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I was actually referring to the 162 hunters that were killed, although the game harvest numbers are remarkable as well. MG
    My dad wouldn't let us in the woods during the 2 week rifle season in northern MI. A sea of orange converged and it was mayhem. Even in the 70's and early 80's folks were getting shot. (I moved away in 84)
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    My dad wouldn't let us in the woods during the 2 week rifle season in northern MI. A sea of orange converged and it was mayhem. Even in the 70's and early 80's folks were getting shot. (I moved away in 84)

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    *or wounded
    Dont let details get in the way. This is Scducks.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    *or wounded
    Dont let details get in the way. This is Scducks.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm