Thread: Traveling Out of the Country With Hunting Dogs?

Default Traveling Out of the Country With Hunting Dogs?

Then you may want to get your ducks in a row, no pun intended.

The USDA and CDC have handed down a rats nest of regulation related to traveling into and out of the country with dogs as it relates to rabies vaccination and microchipping. I don't know all the ins and outs of this as of yet because the two dot gov agencies involved are putting out conflicting information; shocker. Government, politicians and bureaucrats are good at one thing, making simple stuff complicated and impossible to understand.

Here's what I do know. You WILL need an international health certificate to take your dog to Canada and BRING IT BACK IN! You WILL have to have that dog microchipped and you WILL have to have a current and valid rabies vaccine given at LEAST 28 days prior to the certificate being signed and verified by the USDA veterinarian and the microchip has to be implanted PRIOR to your dog receiving that vaccine.

There is way more to it than that but fortunately someone else will get to deal with this mess as I don't do health certificates any longer. They were a huge time suck, we made NO money on them and pet owners as a large population would sashay in a week before they wanted to fly their precious fluffy to Whocarezistan expecting us to tell the USDA it was no big deal and to sign off on it. And when the USDA said, "nah" it was somehow our fault because fluffy's owners had zero initiative.

You are the pet owner. YOU know where and when you are traveling. YOU need to do the leg work PRIOR to showing up to get a health certificate or you will be sorely disappointed with the outcome.

IF you plan to drive across to Canada this fall (You early travelers have just over two months to get your poop in one sock) I would highly advise you to start researching this NOW. Call the state veterinarian down in Columbia but DO NOT call me. I don't do health certs and never will again.

If you have trouble sleeping here is some insomnia medicine for your enjoyment...

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...ates/dogs.html

Link to the USDA SC State Veterinarian's office with contact info...

https://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/s...ian/index.html

Link to the USDA SC State Veterinarian's office with contact info...

https://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/s...ian/index.html

I was looking at doing a trip the other direction over the border in February with at least 1 dog. I feel like this might be a big a pain in the ass to make me just forgo crossing international borders.

I'd say that it is even money at best that there will even be a duck season, much less international. Bird flu is going to be crammed up our asses shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I was looking at doing a trip the other direction over the border in February with at least 1 dog. I feel like this might be a big a pain in the ass to make me just forgo crossing international borders.
    let’s go somewhere without the cartel
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    let’s go somewhere without the cartel
    I still can’t believe you left Pauline last year.

Great, now the final leg of my international squirrel safari is on hold

The Indian Malabar Giant Squirrel is all that eludes me….
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

[QUOTE=huntinghagen#12;3164346]I still can’t believe you left Pauline last year.[/QUOTE

I’m proud of that!
    Windows Down!

stay strong, DC
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Another.gov racket... to add to the racket that is already 1year vs 3year rabies vaccines

I'll just stay here.