Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day trip to mountains with younger kids

Default Day trip to mountains with younger kids

My wife has a function at the house Saturday and I need to take kids somewhere for the day. They asked for mountains. 6,7,11 years old. Tall order or avoid crowds on a Saturday, but any recommendations on something scenic with some kid-friendly waters to dip in that isn't excessively crowded? Waterfall pools are a bonus. trying to stay 3 hours or less from midlands sc.

First thought was graveyard fields but that's a little farther than i'd like to go for a daytrip.

Is Jocassee a madhouse on weekends?

Thanks
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Jocassee can be a mad house on the weekends and there is only one park you can get into. Rainbow Falls is neat and a short hike for kids. Sassafras mountain has beautiful views where you can see SC, NC, GA and TN on a clear day. Sliding Rock is also great. The kids will have a blast there.

Link to Sliding Rock... https://www.ncwaterfalls.com/sliding_rock1.htm
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 06-21-2024 at 08:41 AM.

I haven’t been to Jocassee in years, and you’d need a boat to get to the waterfalls, but I would expect a Saturday would be mayhem up there.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Stumphouse Tunnel and Isaqurena Falls are right by each other. you will probably see some other folks but don’t remember it being obnoxiously crowded
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

If you have a boat, Watauga Lake is a good spot. Not too crowded, 50% + of the shoreline is national forest, might be a touch over 3 hours from the midlands.

Take them to the Cherokee village and tour that. I’d think they’re still doing it. A lot of what you want to do in that general area as well. Get an early start and head home late afternoon. They’ll be tired and love it.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Take them to the Cherokee village and tour that. A lot of what you want to do in that general area as well. Get an early start and head home late afternoon. They’ll be tired and love it. Oconaluftee is the name. Stay and watch outdoor performance Unto these Hills and spend the night. Home Sun morning.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

DuPont recreational Forrest

I'm not sure where you'd be coming from but this place is really nice...and a little more off of the beaten path than some other places.

https://www.ncparks.gov/state-parks/...ins-state-park
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Jones Gap State park is what you seek. Easy trails, trout pond that they can see fish being prepared for stocking and a nice cool creek to play in.

If you go to Jones Gap be sure to stop at the F-Mart for hotdogs...

Mouse Creek Falls. Great hike for kids

Jones Gap requires parking reservations on weekends if you decide to go.

Get up with Palmetto Trooper, he takes his kids up there all the time.
    He sends me great pics of trout caught, elk, and waterfall pools

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    If you go to Jones Gap be sure to stop at the F-Mart for hotdogs...
    F Mart. I saw a Ku Klux Klan recruiting card there on the wall in the mid '90's. I have been in the South since 1967 and that was the first time I ever saw any KKK bullshit that wasn't on the "news"...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    F Mart. I saw a Ku Klux Klan recruiting card there on the wall in the mid '90's. I have been in the South since 1967 and that was the first time I ever saw any KKK bullshit that wasn't on the "news"...
    I never saw that and I spent a decent amount of time stopping in there from 94-2000.

I have very fond memories of F-Mart hotdogs and ice cold bottles of Coca Cola. Might have to take a drive.

Chimney Rock. I drug my grandpa up and down that park a hundred miles when I was a kid.
    Then go down to the park and boat ramp at Lake Lure a few miles to the south.

You will have a blast, not too far the Midlands and I guarantee the kids will be so tired they'll sleep all the way home.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/miJ63oNSD4DsHU9L6

Can’t beat a F-Mart Hot Dog . Table Rock State Park, has a nice beach and swim area. Rent a jon boat, plenty of bass and shell cracker in the lake. Plenty of easy hiking trails in the park too. My grandad was director of all SC state parks for 37 years. He bought a house right off of HWY 11 we still own because Table Rock was his favorite to visit. He’s been gone now about 12 years, but my family goes up as much as we can.
    Bah! Humbug!

Thank you all for the recommendations
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams