Thread: 2026 Models Government Overeach??

Default 2026 Models Government Overeach??

So this law passed in 2021 as a part of an "Infrastructure Bill". In short, its requiring all "NEW" vehicles produced from 2026 on to have onboard detection for Impaired drivers. This will be either a breath sample, or an infrared light in the start/stop button. While I am against impaired driving, were back to the argument that the spoon caused obesity. It is wildly held that a "Kill Switch" will be installed to allow police etc. to disable your vehicle remotely. No real big deal right as GM's ONStar has been doing this for years? That's the argument anyway. This is heavily backed by MADD and Anheuser Busch

I can't imagine the cost of this to put forward to the consumers as we are already seeing an all time high in vehicle prices....

(5) to ensure the prevention of alcohol-impaired driving
    fatalities, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention
    technology must be standard equipment in all new passenger motor
    vehicles

In 2021, Biden signed the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, bipartisan legislation aimed at enhancing the country’s infrastructure. One provision in the bill seeks to prevent alcohol-related driving fatalities by making “drunk and impaired driving prevention technology” standard equipment in all new vehicles.

Specifically, Section 24220 of the bill directs the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to develop rules that would require new cars to be equipped with technology that "passively monitors the performance of a driver," identifies whether they may be impaired and prevents or limits motor vehicle operation "if an impairment is detected."

"Nothing in the infrastructure bill gives any law enforcement or third party access to any information on vehicles or control of any technology installed in vehicles," Strassburger told USA TODAY in an email.
    There is also no automotive technology in existence or in development that could be considered a "kill switch," Strassburger said.

Here is the link to the bill and specifically this section..

https://media.snopes.com/2022/01/Sec...Technology.pdf

There is a bill being introduced to kill this. Call your local congressman if you care.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-.../6563/all-info

My 1999 suburban keeps looking better and better. We should be appalled that there aren’t 434 co-sponsors.
    cut\'em

They can already kill your car. Why do you think Sirius is installed in every new car? The CIA owns Sirius. And they can track your location with or without a subscription. And don’t forget the little microphones that come standard.

wow

you people scare me more than the "government"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    wow

you people scare me more than the "government"
    I don't normally get a political tin foil hat, but do you honestly want to have to blow into your steering wheel before you start your vehicle? Do you want to pay an extra $10k for this "technology" that will save your life and reduce 10,000 traffic accidents?

How about fund Law Enforcement, and put them out there actually patrolling, make the DUI laws stiffer with a mandatory prison sentence. Enforce the laws already written, instead of coming up with new ways to hinder the avrage man. That's not a "You People" belief.

How about just quit with all the government over reach. From this non sense to the whole changing freon again. There is absolutely no reason at all the change freon unless we go back to the original formulation that did not cause such excessive head pressures and they lasted longer.

The government has no business mandating what should be in the car for your so called safety. If the consumer wants it, then some entrepreneurial company will come out with what ever the widget is. Forcing individuals into a behavior for their own good is always a great idea.

"Arbeit macht frei" Many a jew read this statement, and remember it was for their own good!

If we truly live or want to live in a "free" society then we have to accept some of the pitfalls and tragedies that come with that.

On top of my disdain for Government over reach is this was signed into to law by the most brain dead president since Woodrow Wilson! I believe he has WW out done on corruption, and certainly his racist leanings. I dont say that as the left does using the word out of context. No I really mean he has integrated the security agencies into forcing the will of a few onto the masses, all while co-opting businesses into the government. Large contracts are awarded based off favors and gifts, much like in Nazi Germany!

So based off this alone I am all for removing this law all together. Anything that was done in the past 4 years just needs to be undone, all of it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

How about just quit with all the government over reach. From this non sense to the whole changing freon again. There is absolutely no reason at all the change freon unless we go back to the original formulation that did not cause such excessive head pressures and they lasted longer.

The government has no business mandating what should be in the car for your so called safety. If the consumer wants it, then some entrepreneurial company will come out with what ever the widget is. Forcing individuals into a behavior for their own good is always a great idea.

"Arbeit macht frei" Many a jew read this statement, and remember it was for their own good!

If we truly live or want to live in a "free" society then we have to accept some of the pitfalls and tragedies that come with that.

On top of my disdain for Government over reach is this was signed into to law by the most brain dead president since Woodrow Wilson! I believe he has WW out done on corruption, and certainly his racist leanings. I dont say that as the left does using the word out of context. No I really mean he has integrated the security agencies into forcing the will of a few onto the masses, all while co-opting businesses into the government. Large contracts are awarded based off favors and gifts, much like in Nazi Germany!

So based off this alone I am all for removing this law all together. Anything that was done in the past 4 years just needs to be undone, all of it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I don't normally get a political tin foil hat, but do you honestly want to have to blow into your steering wheel before you start your vehicle? Do you want to pay an extra $10k for this "technology" that will save your life and reduce 10,000 traffic accidents?

How about fund Law Enforcement, and put them out there actually patrolling, make the DUI laws stiffer with a mandatory prison sentence. Enforce the laws already written, instead of coming up with new ways to hinder the avrage man. That's not a "You People" belief.
    no, I dont want any of those things.
    but i also dont expect it to enter my world....so I'm not worried.

And how can I be....when I think the CIA via Sirius is following me to and from work every day!

and i totally agree with yalls stance on government overreach.

Alcohol breathalyzer interlock, I guess I’ll switch to weed and watch tv on my phone instead. Thanks Biden for being concerned for our safety.

It was a plotline in the Sopranos that aired in 2004, where he bought a new Escalade and had the OnStar removed. Only later, he was in a car crash, and OnStar asked him if everything was alright but used his name, revealing it was the govt. Pretty sure OnStar and other systems have been used by others when needed. It is, after all, how Ford ultimately got busted over lowering tire pressures on SUVs. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

So the CIA is monitoring me while I listen to Prime Country? Seems like quite the stretch…
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    no, I dont want any of those things.
    but i also dont expect it to enter my world....so I'm not worried.

And how can I be....when I think the CIA via Sirius is following me to and from work every day!
    If you have sirius in that beater you drive then I'm a tug boat captain.

#TootToot

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    So the CIA is monitoring me while I listen to Prime Country? Seems like quite the stretch…
    Only when you switch to Fox News, Outlaw Country or Patriot channels. Predator drones launch immediately and lock on with hellfire missiles. Mention Trump while listening and you’re Allah Snackbared.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I first ran across those blow to start vehicle deals 20 years ago in Canada when a passed out cowboy woke up outside the bar in his truck , walked back into the bar, and was asking if any of us could blow sober enough to crank his truck so that he could go home.

Shit, Ford applied for a patent a few years ago for their self-driving autos that will allow the repo man to crank your car up in the driveway, back that bitch out and drive it to the bank without ever leaving their desk.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I first ran across those blow to start vehicle deals 20 years ago in Canada when a passed out cowboy woke up outside the bar in his truck , walked back into the bar, and was asking if any of us could blow sober enough to crank his truck so that he could go home.
    LOL…I too have run into this in Canada.