Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buried another one

Default Buried another one

This is becoming an annual occurrence. On the plus side Trace learned how to yank one out with braid. Wasn’t sure it was gonna come but last one cost me $1200 so said the heck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang man! You did a good job when you buried that one. I hope it wasn’t too painful when he jerked it out.

Damn. I feel for ya. Jerking it out is effective but damn it hurts like hell.
    More Ducks, Less People

Jess pulled two treble hooks out of my hand last time we went fishing. Both hooks had two of the hooks buried(a total of 4 hooks). The braid trick worked like a charm. We were back fishing in ten minutes.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

you went to the ER for a hook in your hand?

(i'm not judging. I'm just asking for clarification before I judge)

Bunn--remind jess who he has never outfished.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and our medical system is incredibly screwed up if they think they can honestly charge $1200 to disinfect, anesthetize, and remove a hook.

insurance is a scam. uninsureds ruin the system and 2x2 gauze doesnt cost $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and our medical system is incredibly screwed up if they think they can honestly charge $1200 to disinfect, anesthetize, and remove a hook.

insurance is a scam. uninsureds ruin the system and 2x2 gauze doesnt cost $1200.
    Preach 2fer-man!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

And Bayer aspirin are not $75.00 a piece.

Rumor has it some hospitals have a billion dollars in special accounts.

$1200 to remove a fish hook?!

I need to raise my prices.

. uninsureds ruin the system
    care to elaborate. It's the self pay people that keep the prices closer to honest.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Bout 1981 or so, the attending ER Doc at Fisherman's hospital in Marathon asked me if I saw the Porsche in the parking lot. I said yeah, so? He replied - "patients like you have paid for that car"

He gave me some damn fine Medical advice. He was an enthusiastic fisherman also. "Either pinch down or file off the barbs on your hooks." "Makes it easier to drive the hook into a Tarpon's mouth and doesn't change the odds of landing the fish much if at all". " Certainly makes it much easier to pull a hook out of your own flesh."

He was right. I haven't had to go get a doctor to rip a hook out of me since. You might consider it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    care to elaborate. It's the self pay people that keep the prices closer to honest.
    A few years back I had a little slip of a blade and had to go into the ER for some stitches. Hindsight says I should have just glued and butterflied it at home but... Anywho, bill comes in the mail for $500 and I noticed that they didn't run it through my insurance which I plainly gave them at check in. So I call the billing dept and informed them of the mistake. They submit through insurance and a few weeks later I get a brand new bill, $900. Clearly this has to be some mistake, right? Nope, according to the nice people at the hospital what I got the first time was the bill for people with no insurance. My new bill was for people with insurance. And to this day I still can't make that make sense other than: The whole "system" is a freaking scam.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

--back before obamacare, many uninsured people would use the ER from anything from the sniffles, to monkey pox, to a heart attack. the ER (mostly provately owned) had to make a living, so they charged more for people that could actually pay.

hence the stories above that are evidence to this.

even though you must have health insurance, there is still a disparity weighted towards taking money from the insurance by over-inflating the simplicity of taking a hook out of someone's hand.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-19-2024 at 12:03 PM.

and i cant even make fun of b35w now that I know Nitro went to the ER, too.

FWIW< I will gladly take any hook out of anyone's hand for free hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    A few years back I had a little slip of a blade and had to go into the ER for some stitches. Hindsight says I should have just glued and butterflied it at home but... Anywho, bill comes in the mail for $500 and I noticed that they didn't run it through my insurance which I plainly gave them at check in. So I call the billing dept and informed them of the mistake. They submit through insurance and a few weeks later I get a brand new bill, $900. Clearly this has to be some mistake, right? Nope, according to the nice people at the hospital what I got the first time was the bill for people with no insurance. My new bill was for people with insurance. And to this day I still can't make that make sense other than: The whole "system" is a freaking scam.
    The thing we don’t usually see is that the $900 insurance bill is actually approved for payment at maybe $300-$500, at list. If that was sent to Medicare it may be approved for only $250 or so.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Here's the scam.

Your policy pays 80% and you pay 20%.

At your first meeting, they tell you the miscellaneous medical is $10,000 and your portion is $2000 and your deductable is $2500. Your total due is $4500 but if you pay today we will knock off $500, so your new total is $4000.

They didn't tell you the have an agreement with bc/BS and the miscellaneous medical is only $4000.

You should have paid 20%($800)of the actual charge, not some artificial inflated figures they showed you at the first consultation.

You really only owed them $3300,.....and paying early it should have been $2800.

I was by myself fishing. A gentleman at the boat ramp attempted to yank it out but failed. It was buried in the meat of my palm.

And yes, the bill will absolutely absurd. Had I known I would have figured out something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also don't think Fluoride costs $160.00, just saying. Careful calling the Cast Iron Kettle Black

I went to the STD clinic in Wilmington 2 weeks ago and got a steroid shot and prescription for more steroids when I got home. Cost me $31. I have BC/BS.

--back before obamacare, many uninsured people would use the ER from anything from the sniffles, to monkey pox, to a heart attack. the ER (mostly provately owned) had to make a living, so they charged more for people that could actually pay.
    Reckon this will get better or worse now that Brandon has eliminated the ability of credick scores to reflect medical debt?