Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chartplotter/depth finder suggestions

I have the Simrad Go7xse and like you am on coastal rivers/bays 90% of the time.

Zero complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Garmin. The maps are better, sonar is better, switching is better, easy to use, etc. it’s not a ford vs Chevy thing anymore, Garmin MFD’s are at the top.
    Right.

BIL has 12” (maybe 14) Simrad on his 248 Sea Pro . He has not clue what it does(same guy that first time we had his boat at IOP I asked him for his remote for twin PowerPoles. He wondered what they did, just thought they looked cool on the boat since everyone else has them LOL) but I do like it when we on vacation but honestly can not tell any difference in it and my Lowrance units

DIL did add radar dome to his and it came in handy last summer when we were at the end of the rocks in Charleston and could watch direction of storms . Normally I would have picked up and run back in but we could track them going south-north and staying alone mainland. Got me wanting to add damn radar to my SELDOM USED boat

With that said been using Lowrance so long I have a pretty good handle on them
    Last edited by tprice; 06-13-2024 at 06:46 AM.

During the last Bass Master Classic at Hartwell I sat on my dock ( on Saturday ) and had 12 boats fish my cove/dock, including the winner. Every single boat was running Lowrance.

I have Lowrance and Garmin on my boat.

Lowrance is the best for mapping, sonar, and down scan.
    Garmin is the best for FFS, but not by much.
    Also Garmin bought Navionics mapping from Lowrance. Lowrance uses CMAP mapping for a reason,.....it's the best. You can still use a Navionics map in Lowrance.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    DIL did add radar dome to his and it came in handy last summer when we were at the end of the rocks in Charleston and could watch direction of storms . Normally I would have picked up and run back in but we could track them going south-north and staying alone mainland. Got me wanting to add damn radar to my SELDOM USED boat
    A friend of mine fished the king circuit and had radar and the SiriusXM marine subscription for weather radar. For dodging storms, he liked the Sirius because with radar, you can see the facing edge of a storm but the satellite view let you see all of it. He also said the lighting indication was instant. You can see the flash and look down and see it pop up on the screen immediately.

If you're nearshore, you can get the same layers on your cellphone with most weather apps.

Weather radar was the one thing that pushed me off of my old flip phone back in the day. It and GPS are technology miracles that anyone that lived and fished before them could have never dreamed of.

If you primarily just want maps, save a bunch of money and just get the navionics app on your phone.

I had been very pleased with my Simrad GO9 for lakes, inshore, and offshore. Until last time I took the boat out and it had decided to wipe out every waypoint. I'm sure I can restore it as everything is normal on the app and I have most points backed up, but that was not ideal at 5:00 headed offshore. Haven't had time to mess with it yet.