Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inshore: Live bait vs. artificial

I like both depending on the day. Love throwing grubs at trout but love watching a slip cork slam down just as much with a live shrimp and fat trout.

Tailing red drum fly rod is fun but hand somebody a live finger mullet and a spinning reel for them is fun to me too.

Flounder on a white grub at reef or dock is fun, but listening to music trolling mud minnows is a blast as well.

It doesn't matter bream to blue marlin, I like them all anyway I'm chasing them, spear included.

Chunking dead bait bores me but shrimp under popping cork is usually method when taking others especially kids. While I enjoy artificials more especially in shallow water, it really doesn’t matter much and both are fun.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Chunking dead bait bores me but shrimp under popping cork is usually method when taking others especially kids. While I enjoy artificial more especially in shallow water, it really doesn’t matter much and both are fun.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Trout, spot tails and all the sundry other species you’ll catch next to shit and in the creeks is like bream fishing, drop bait under a cork and reel em in.

Wanna catch a big spot tail? Start cat/carp fishing and drop the bait to the bottom.

Shit ain’t hard.

It takes more skill to catch if using all artificial in my opinion.
    Colors, styles, retrieve, tides, etc.
    Throw whatever makes you happy, i don't miss spending time looking bait and cleaning a filthy deck from throwing a bait net
    Biggest trout you will ever catch will be on a 6 inch or larger live croaker though
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-05-2024 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Next time try to explain that in a way even 2th will understand because it makes a ton of sense to me.
    you meant to belittle live bait as a means to catch fish. gutpile didnt.
    I assure you I can understand stuff.
    except turkey people, retriever people, and other forms of people.
    words, I get.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Bait is for kids.
    Says the professional.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

If you don’t like watching a cork get slammed out of sight you are GHEEEY!!! If you deliberately choose to not pursue that path bc you think artificial is more challenging or whatever, you have lost some of that wonderful captivating enthusiasm fishing brought us all as kids. Fishing is about waaay more than what bait you’re using. This thread is as stupid as what Turkey call is best or do you use, stand or ground hunter, rifle or shotgun, spinning or bait casting discussions. A preference is fine. But if the focus is on live bait or artificial, and whether or not or why you won’t use one or the other, you’ve missed the point altogether. If you don’t get what I’m saying, you’re probably too dumb to fish and should stay off the water.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I've always liked this fuss. The best one I heard my old boss sent me to these saltwater class things. There was only a brief stint on inshore, out of state fishing guides and tv personas.. A chunky guy got into a prissy guy over this, funny thing was, the sloppy guy was the one using artificial with all of his customers.. He was advocating fishing under shrimp boats, and his feeder creek techniques when the prissy guy asked what he was he was throwing, mostly jogs he said. Then he got into using all live bait with his customers, when the chunky guy said he didn't need to take anyone fishing who didn't know how to use a rod and reel without help, or have to teach them how to reel in a lure.

I think they all have their places, except for rockfish, rockfish are meant to catch on topwater.. not by live baiting genetic inferior yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    If you don’t like watching a cork get slammed out of sight you are GHEEEY!!! If you deliberately choose to not pursue that path bc you think artificial is more challenging or whatever, you have lost some of that wonderful captivating enthusiasm fishing brought us all as kids. Fishing is about waaay more than what bait you’re using. This thread is as stupid as what Turkey call is best or do you use, stand or ground hunter, rifle or shotgun, spinning or bait casting discussions. A preference is fine. But if the focus is on live bait or artificial, and whether or not or why you won’t use one or the other, you’ve missed the point altogether. If you don’t get what I’m saying, you’re probably too dumb to fish and should stay off the water.
    You can put an artificial under a cork you know.
    DILLIGAF

It's just a discussion calm down.

i think MW was expecting this nonsense....and nonsense is what he got. I bet he was HOPING for better....

I like to catch fish. I dont think more or less of myself for using a jig or a live shrimp, although that seems to be the perspective of some. Cut bait aint my thing but there's times in my haunts that its really hard to get a certain school of spottails to bite much of anything....but you roll in a fresh piece of cut bait and you can change their tune.

Artificials are certainly easier to deal with....but catching bait can be part of the fun, too.

Take all this drama somewhere else.
    Hey MW---my son and my boat are in charleston. Go fishing....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I was just hoping we could talk fishing, I fish plenty but enjoy researching tactics during the work week.

What kind of fishing shoes do y'all wear? Velcro, slip on, or laces?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    It's just a discussion calm down.
    Go back to Facebook. I’ll call on you if I want to hear your answer.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Perfectly articulated.

and I'll gig the shit outta one too

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
    What kind of fishing shoes do y'all wear? Velcro, slip on, or laces?
    Grunden boots.
    So there!
    One tends to learn more when using ones eyes and ears....instead of running their mouth!