Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson: places to avoid?

Default Anderson: places to avoid?

Daughter is playing a softball tournament in Starr-Iva next month. Gonna require a hotel stay and dinner out? Any places/areas to avoid? Any good places to eat?

Only hotel I’d stay in would be the Hilton garden Inn on Destination Blvd and avoid any of the hotels on Interstate Blvd. will be about a 20 minute ride down to Starr. Barnwood grill for breakfast or lunch. There are some good restaurants downtown, Maki, Earle Street, smokin pig for bbq up towards Pendleton.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Earle Street. Get the hot chicken.

Places to avoid in Anderson?

Avoid Anderson
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post

Avoid Anderson
    I've caught that vibe just from being on this forum for as long as I have. That's why I asked?

Lived in Anderson my whole life. You will be fine. Im assuming yall are coming to play the State 10u tournament?

Barnwood Grill has great burgers etc. Earle Street is really good and good variety for dinner.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 06-04-2024 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Lived in Anderson my whole life. You will be fine. Im assuming yall are coming to play the State 10u tournament?

Yep

Not sure what budget is but you could stay at Bleckley Inn or the new hotel downtown. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance (Maki for sushi , Raines on Main (burgers, wings , etc good prices and decent food , Electric City Pizza, Shucks Oyster Bar ,Doolittle’s, Suma Joes, Sullivans , Earle St and Corbett McGees just to name a few ). I eat at all these but Maki is my favorite . Couple downtown brewery’s if you into craft beer like Magnetic South Brewery

Most any other hotel gonna be near I85 exits

You can be in Iva in 15 min from downtown Anderson , will take you about 30 from I85 exits

Jackie’s Starr Mart (Starr) right on your way Iva will have BK, Subway, pizza joint and some local places that are decent

If you like BBQ you can hit Fork Grove on 187 , back way out of IVA basically

Let me know if you need any more info

As for safety , Anderson has its “areas” just like other towns and I figure our share of homeless people but they really do not bother anything. Trust me my office is downtown Anderson (2 doors down from Palmetto Moonshine )

By way I am sure you serious about Softball if you coming to this tournament but I will forewarn you, SOFTBALL is on another planet in Starr/Iva. Be prepared LOL
    Last edited by tprice; 06-04-2024 at 09:05 PM.

Just don’t stay in Starr/Iva. Downtown Anderson is nice with good of restaurants. Stay at the Beckley.
    Carolina Counsel

Avoid Anderson
    Correct answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Ain’t nothing wrong with Anderson, y’all settle down. There’s a Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn across the road from each other and they form a triangle with the best Waffle House known to mankind. That’s at the intersection of SC 81 and I-85.

If you have time Sunday morning go to Earle St for the brunch.

If you’re worried about coming to Anderson, you should be afraid to go anywhere and everywhere. Anderson is certainly no more “dangerous” than most cities (see Spartanburg, Greenwood, Columbia, etc.). Starr-Iva is rural so don’t stay there. Good folks and they love their softball and they take it serious. Nice folks in general. I’d stay up off Clemson Boulevard or the Bleckley is good too. Gotta go get a Skin’s hotdog just to say you did. Smoking Pig is good BBQ. If you want a nice meal, Sullivan’s is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Ain’t nothing wrong with Anderson, y’all settle down. There’s a Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn across the road from each other and they form a triangle with the best Waffle House known to mankind. That’s at the intersection of SC 81 and I-85.

If you have time Sunday morning go to Earle St for the brunch.
    Tell em Tater, there is NOTHING wrong with Anderson. Obvious by the thousands of nice homes being built in Anderson County. Un real the growth coming here

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    If you’re worried about coming to Anderson, you should be afraid to go anywhere and everywhere. Anderson is certainly no more “dangerous” than most cities (see Spartanburg, Greenwood, Columbia, etc.). Starr-Iva is rural so don’t stay there. Good folks and they love their softball and they take it serious. Nice folks in general. I’d stay up off Clemson Boulevard or the Bleckley is good too. Gotta go get a Skin’s hotdog just to say you did. Smoking Pig is good BBQ. If you want a nice meal, Sullivan’s is also good.

Yep , nothing at all wrong with Anderson however like most cities we do have our share of “drive by shootings” which pisses me off but can not fix that I guess

Gotta have a Skins Hotdog. Now we could send you to the original Skins but most of you folks be too scared to get out of your car but it is not problem at all. There is one on Hwy 28 By pass as you going to “God’s Country” to get you butts handed to you in softball LOL
    Last edited by tprice; 06-05-2024 at 06:25 AM.

You are correct. Someone needs to tell all these people moving to Anderson County how scary it is. It’s no different than anywhere, it has some “rough” spots but show me a town that doesn’t.

prayers sent. for no other reason than a softball tourney is pretty boring and i've yet to go to one where they let me drive the lawnmower or drag the field between games....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I would take the whole team to Grits and Groceries after a game. That place is great and not far at all from your tournament. They have an outdoor area.
    I recommend calling ahead and letting them know.

Don't forget Fork Grove BBq 20 from iva

Avoid Anderson
    That's saying a lot coming from Greenwood...

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Yessir.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not afraid of any town, hell folks here say the same about Pelion and I lived there comfortably for three years.
    Just don't want to blindly pick a hotel that gets mobbed by tweakers after sundown.....

When I come for school events, we stay at The Bleckley. One time we stayed at the Home2 behind it and it was fine also.

Always stayed closed by and ate at the pizza place (w/ kids) right there or Sullivans if me and the wife.