Thread: Paint job Cost

Default Paint job Cost

Does anyone have any current experience with getting a truck painted? I have a 91 GMC regular cab long bed that needs paint. Any ideas on what this should cost?

Another option could be to wrap it. Have any of you had experience with wraps. I read they don’t last very long. Maybe 10 years.

Thanks for the help.

If you have any recommendations for a paint shop in the Columbia area that would be helpful as well.

Thanks

With that year truck I would call places like Maaco and a few other shops to get pricing over the phone. Maaco or someone of the like will be your best pricing, but not always the best quality although I've seen them do some very good work. Seems like we discussed this years back. Search function may turn something up.

You get what you pay for. I'd probably rattle can a camo job before I'd take to a place like maaco.

My dad had a car painted at Florence Maaco last year. The rep spoke highly of their new equipment and was enthusiastic about the job. At some point later dad spoke with the painter who complained about their old equipment and the upkeep.
    After two paint jobs and another return visit for some touch ups dad cut his losses with them. Looks decent from a distance but lots to be desired up close.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Start at $2500 and go up from there depending on current condition of paint, how much bodywork will be necessary.

Jambs? Changing color? Between bed and cab?
    Bare minimum for a "decent" paint job will require removal of headlights, door handles, side glass, any trim, etc.

Good thoughts CurLee. I would keep it the same color but it’s pretty rough. Rust is a popular paint color these days right?

Quote Originally Posted by CHRUCK42 View Post
    Good thoughts CurLee. I would keep it the same color but it’s pretty rough. Rust is a popular paint color these days right?
    Just use a ton of rust-colored primer and go for it.

I asked this same question last year when looking at a car that was in great shape except for the paint. A couple of body shops told me to figure on $3500-$4500, depending on the prep requirements and if it was standard or metallic paint.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

a quality wrap is going to cost the same as a paint job. They have to remove just as much stuff. The prep work for a wrap is very similar to paint as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRUCK42 View Post
    Post some picture of the truck and I can give you a general idea of what needs to be done. Being a 91 GM I'm assuming the rust is on the top surfaces due to peeling paint. Early 90s is when the EPA grew it's wings and started Fing w the manufacturers over the VOCs in their paint which led to thinner apllication rates and less UV protection i.e. peeling paint after 6-10yrs.

A wrap offers ZERO protection against corrosion and can only evascerbate what's already there.

What color(s) is it now? That will factor into cost as well. There weren't many high pearl paints on that era of pickup but RED is the most expensive and can as much as quadruple material cost.

PS I'm only offering advice on what to ask or expect from the shops you may encounter. I do NOT do side work, just tryin to help a brother out.

Thank you for the info. I will have to get some current pictures. It is a blue of sorts. More of a light blue than dark blue. The real gem is the all dark blue interior. My dad and I had a ton of fun in that old truck. It’s hauled a million limbs and cut downs and ridden quite a few dirt roads. It’s even done a few burnouts in the local ford dealership parking lot to “show them who’s boss” as he would say.

get stumpknocker to paint it and roll on

My buddy Chris Bull owns Wrapabull in the Columbia area. He is prob 1 of the better ones on the east coast that wraps vehicles, boats, wreckers, etc. If you go the wrap route, check him out. He uses the best of the best and he has a lot of clients to back up his work. A good wrap will last a long time.
    every expert was once a beginner

This is why the Internet sucks...