Thread: Real Men of Genius- Boat Ramp Champs

Default Real Men of Genius- Boat Ramp Champs

I suck at backing a boat down a ramp.

One time I went to put in a boat with my FIL in Murrell’s Inlet during Black Bike week. There was a conversion van with spinner rims and 12 dudes in it. They were putting in a single jet ski. The trailer had matching spinner rims. After 15 minutes of failed attempts, a large crowd of annoyed but amused middle aged and senior fishermen had collected at the ramp to watch the shit show. The van crew finally decided to unhitch the trailer and walk it down the ramp. After sliding down the ramp to the water, none of them knew how to unhook the jet ski. I broke down and walked down to help. After unhooking it, they thanked me and then started trying to manually pull the trailer up the wet ramp. I pointed at the van and told them to back the van down and hook up the trailer.

I felt a lot better about my lack of trailer skills.

Went to Green Pond landing Friday and Sunday and surprisingly no drama at all.

Folks loading and unloading like a charm but maybe we left before the drunks hit the ramp

Backing skills by the average boater aside, the violation and misuse (or non-use) of make-ready areas are egregious. And I do not use that word often or lightly. Second only to people putting their boats in and not moving their boats to the end of the dock while they park. I, too, left before the real sh!t show happened after a long day on the water. Be safe; they live among us. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

And remember to turn off your headlights when on the ramp loading unloading in the dark. I see WAAAAY too many experienced boaters, bass guys and duck hunters doing this stupid shit and blinding the hell out of the world in the parking lot or others trying to back down beside them. If you don’t don’t turn yours off or it never occurred to you I’m talking to you!
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    And remember to turn off your headlights when on the ramp loading unloading in the dark. I see WAAAAY too many experienced boaters, bass guys and duck hunters doing this stupid shit and blinding the hell out of the world in the parking lot or others trying to back down beside them. If you don’t don’t turn yours off or it never occurred to you I’m talking to you!
    You could try not looking at their head lights
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I can turn my headlights off, but I can't turn my daytime running lights off and they tstill still probably interfere with other boaters. I have to shut my truck off.

I can turn my headlights off, but I can't turn my daytime running lights off and they tstill still probably interfere with other boaters. I have to shut my truck off.